Wedding Planner Spreadsheet

2»

Comments

• Raggie
    Raggie Posts: 613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I overhauled a spreadsheet I found on google docs for this purpose (when I say overhauled, I mostly mean I added useful formulas for calculation). You can download my version here.

Hope you find it useful.

Brilliant thanks
    The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary…
  • Raggie
    Raggie Posts: 613 Forumite
    Average wedding costs are no help at all really - my parents gifted us £5k towards the wedding, and we spent about £8k total. I could have spent more had they given us more, but equally, we budgeted to have everything we wanted within what we could afford. If you are really that unsure, have a conversation with them? I thought £5k was very generous, as had originally started off with that as my entire budget, although that was a bit of a challenge! £10k would cover, I would imagine, a lot of possibilities. I really have no idea how you could spend £20k on a wedding...

Edited to add: The most expensive items tend to be the venue and the food - look up a few to get an idea of 'normal' costs. Both obviously increase in price as you add more guests.

Thanks - fully agree on the average costs not helping - that's why I posted the original question - we have been speaking with them and they are happy with whatever we give.

DD1 has so far got three quotes from venues - £8K, £15K and £22K - now I don't know what these quotes cover as I have (and wont be) seeing them - so they are probably not "like for like" - but if these are venue only costs how much for the rest ? Cars/flowers/dress etc..

DD1 has organised a number of other venue visits and is going with her mum and mil to a wedding fair soon so that will help.

cheers
    The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary…
  • Raggie wrote: »
    DD1 has so far got three quotes from venues - £8K, £15K and £22K - now I don't know what these quotes cover as I have (and wont be) seeing them - so they are probably not "like for like" - but if these are venue only costs how much for the rest ? Cars/flowers/dress etc..

Again, endlessly variable! My dress cost £175 + alterations, cars were cheap as provided by friends, flowers, about £700 as we splashed out on them, live music £1k, food about £2500. Equally, you can easily spend £1500 on a dress, £1000 on transport, £10k food etc etc!

To be perfectly honest, I would pick a value like £10k which will allow them a reasonable pick of venues, and then they can decide how best to use it. If they spend less, they can save or return the extra, and if they want to spend a fortune, they can add the rest themselves. I don't think that encouraging someone to spend more than £10k on a 1 day celebration is in any way sensible, and certainly not necessary, but obviously that depends on how you (and they) feel about things!

What on earth does the £22k venue cover :eek: Some of those venue quotes I would imagine will cover food, evening DJ, the works, which leaves considerably less cost to be covered under 'other' items.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ours is £15K all in, wedding with 100 guests in an expensive area
  • FutureGirl
    FutureGirl Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    My venue is £6K and covers the ceremony (holds up to 120, we're having 40), the reception hall, wedding breakfast for 40 people, evening buffet for 150 people, DJ, overnight accommodation for the bride and groom, also includes the cake, table flowers etc - pretty much everything!

I just have to pay for the photographer and any additional decorations, and then our clothing, and gifts and rings pretty much!

In total our wedding & honeymoon is coming in at around £13K
  • The cost of the wedding really depends on what style of wedding they want and how many people. Adding ten people to the guest list could add anything from £20 to £200 depending on if the cost is per head etc. How much things cost is like pulling a number out of thin air, as the price varies so hugely depending on where you are, when the wedding is, how many people and the style of the event.

We set our budget at £2.5k for 60 people. Ours is also a kind of DIY event, which is cheaper than a venue package lot. We have family helping out with a few things, but we made sure we can afford it all if necessary.

The quotes from the venue will include the room and food I'd think, but probably not much more and I doubt that would include drinks. Possibly basic decorations, though I wouldn't be surprised if chair covers etc are on top of the quote.
    She'll have to price up photos/video if she wants them, transport if needed, hotels if needed, dresses/suits which will depend on the size of the bridal party. Flowers if wanted, Entertainment/Disco/Live music etc. The ceremony itself - if she's bringing the registrar out to the venue that'll be an extra £300-400. If you're providing your own drinks there'll be a corkage fee per bottle, which would bump the price higher than the venue's own probably overpriced drinks.

The best option, rather than to price up how much things cost might be to say I'll give £X and what you don't spend keep towards honeymoon or savings etc.
    That gives them the option. If they really want to splash out and spend ridiculous amounts one a one day celebration, then they can do so, but will have to save up the extra. Or they can have a more low key event and use the rest towards a house or honeymoon. Or they can stick to budget.
    This allows you to give a set amount to both daughters equally, while allowing them to decide how much they really want to spend.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Yes it like - how long is a piece of string? I expect you could do the very basics for a couple of hundred but them it goes up and up to the millions. Probably if you said you'd give 30k they could easily spend it - though to me its seems rather frivolous.

Decide what is an amount for you 5 or 10k - then if they want more they can contribute themselves.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • I think there might be one on ukbride.co.uk - it's a really good website with table planning tips and stuff and I'm sure I saw something similar on there!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure