Husband refusing to help financially

2»

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,818 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ParkerFive wrote: »
    I am working on the house to decorate to sell but I am doing everything by myself as well as looking after my two children (11 and 17).

It's probably not worth wasting time, effort and money redecorating - declutter as far as you can (difficult with two growing kids, I know) and just get it on the market as it is.
  • Check with mortgage company to pay interest only and not capital repayment?
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 November 2017 at 2:53PM
    rpc wrote: »
    He'd better be able to, given he is contractually bound to pay it (as is the OP, but she's trying).

Does he realise what impact non-payment of the mortgage could have on his ability to get credit? Including renting?

would be lovely to live in such a perfect world, unfortunately its never so simple.

i am in the opposite side of things to the OP, as i am the guy who 'left' his wife and house, and 'left' her to pay the mortgage and bills. because i am such a monster.

however the other side of the story is that there was no way we could carry on living under the same roof, in fact we had been living in the same house but separated for 5 months (i had moved into the utility room downstairs as we had no other 'spare room' for me to sleep/live in.

when i moved out i had to get somewhere rented, this in itself costs me as much as the mortgage is on the matrimonial house, however is much smaller, i also pay all of the matrimonial debts as they was in my name as i earned more, plus child maintenance (at a higher rate than is legally required) however i can pay no more towards the mortgage or bills for the matrimonial house.

if she defaults there is no way i can cover it as i just do not have the money spare. but she refuses to sell, i cant force the house sale because of our child, so i am stuck in over priced rental property (if i purchased the same house my mortgage would be around £300 a month less than i am paying in rent), with roughly £70k of equity tied up in a house that i have no say over how it is looked after etc,

so basically it means i am currently giving my ex-wife an interest free £70k loan so that she can live in that house, whilst i waste money on a over priced rental instead of building up my own equity in my own house - and if she pushes for what others here are suggesting by stopping me gaining any of the increase in equity on the house, i will in fact lose money due to inflation, so my £70k will decrease in value every single year she stays in the house refusing to sell it, so from my position im actually giving her a negative % interest loan of £70k. and yet im sure some people will still view me as being unreasonable

i totally get that if she defaults my credit file will be screwed, but other than moving back in with someone who quiet frankly hates me, and therefore making my childs life hell, there is no other option open to me, other than hope she can keep up with the payments.

as much as it would be wonderful if i had enough money to afford to cover the mortgage on the old house, plus all the bills, plus paying my own rent, and all of my bills its just not possible for me or i expect many other people.
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • gonzo127 wrote: »
    would be lovely to live in such a perfect world, unfortunately its never so simple.

i am in the opposite side of things to the OP, as i am the guy who 'left' his wife and house, and 'left' her to pay the mortgage and bills. because i am such a monster.

however the other side of the story is that there was no way we could carry on living under the same roof, in fact we had been living in the same house but separated for 5 months (i had moved into the utility room downstairs as we had no other 'spare room' for me to sleep/live in.

when i moved out i had to get somewhere rented, this in itself costs me as much as the mortgage is on the matrimonial house, however is much smaller, i also pay all of the matrimonial debts as they was in my name as i earned more, plus child maintenance (at a higher rate than is legally required) however i can pay no more towards the mortgage or bills for the matrimonial house.

if she defaults there is no way i can cover it as i just do not have the money spare. but she refuses to sell, i cant force the house sale because of our child, so i am stuck in over priced rental property (if i purchased the same house my mortgage would be around £300 a month less than i am paying in rent), with roughly £70k of equity tied up in a house that i have no say over how it is looked after etc,

so basically it means i am currently giving my ex-wife an interest free £70k loan so that she can live in that house, whilst i waste money on a over priced rental instead of building up my own equity in my own house - and if she pushes for what others here are suggesting by stopping me gaining any of the increase in equity on the house, i will in fact lose money due to inflation, so my £70k will decrease in value every single year she stays in the house refusing to sell it, so from my position im actually giving her a negative % interest loan of £70k. and yet im sure some people will still view me as being unreasonable

i totally get that if she defaults my credit file will be screwed, but other than moving back in with someone who quiet frankly hates me, and therefore making my childs life hell, there is no other option open to me, other than hope she can keep up with the payments.

as much as it would be wonderful if i had enough money to afford to cover the mortgage on the old house, plus all the bills, plus paying my own rent, and all of my bills its just not possible for me or i expect many other people.

Sounds similar to my story, my advice to any married man is keep minimum equity in the house and your money in liquid assets!
  • Sorry you have problems, but don't do it all yourself. The 17 year old should be able to look after themselves and help with the decorating. Many on here were working full time at 15.
    The 11 year old could probably help too . .

Brilliant...let's make the children responsible for sorting out their parents' crap.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family