PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord asking for cash deposit

Just after some advice, am due to move into flat soon, it is a private landlord who has asked for the deposit in cash. We will get the keys at the same time. Have rented property before so know I need receipt for this and tenancy agreement just never been asked to hand it over in cash before? Always dealt with agencies.
Should he be giving me proof of where my deposit goes at this stage too?
Any advice please?
Entering a few comps here and there 2020 seems my best year for wins so far:- iphone xs, limited edition whiskey, Masha and the Bear toys, newborn baby stuff, 3 x books, 12 months membership to diet app, bottle of syrup, Baby Shark singing puppet, children’s book, Nasty vegan shake x 2 packs.

Comments

• anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,262
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes ask which protection scheme will be used. None of the custodial schemes accept cash so I can't see a legitimate reason to request cash.
  • I've given cash a number of times and it's been protected mostly.

I wouldn't worry about it not being protected, it goes hugely in your favour if your landlord wishes to not protect your deposit.
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    rjwr wrote: »
    I've given cash a number of times and it's been protected mostly.

I wouldn't worry about it not being protected, it goes hugely in your favour if your landlord wishes to not protect your deposit.

The ability to recover a large amount via a legal process is rarely actually as good as not having to go through the legal process in the first place!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,863
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    If you are getting the keys as you hand over the deposit, i can understand the landlord not wanting to risk eg a bouncing cheque. Even bank transfers can be recalled the same day. I would be asking to pay the deposit 2 days in advance by some more trackable means.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    Even bank transfers can be recalled the same day.

They absolutely cannot be recalled.

What can't be guaranteed (unless paying by CHAPS before the cut off time) is that the payment will be completed on the same day - in most case it will be but nobody can say for certain that it will.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,594
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wouldn't worry about a cash deposit too much. As long as you get a receipt, you have the same security / proof of paying as with a bank transfer. The LL would have to protect the deposit in the same way, so no difference there. And a deposit isn't income so the LL wouldn't be trying to avoid tax in this way (does he want cash rent too?)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I agree.

Make sure the receipt is clear what it is for:
    * LL name
    * property address
    * security deposit for tenancy
    * signature
    * date

The LL has 30 days to inform you where he protects it via the PI.

Provided
    a) you get the keys and
    b) this IS the LL (not an outgoing tenant..... :eek:)

it's fine.

You didn't find the property via gumtree did you?
  • perfect10
    perfect10 Posts: 455
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    I agree.

Make sure the receipt is clear what it is for:
    * LL name
    * property address
    * security deposit for tenancy
    * signature
    * date

The LL has 30 days to inform you where he protects it via the PI.

Provided
    a) you get the keys and
    b) this IS the LL (not an outgoing tenant..... :eek:)

it's fine.

You didn't find the property via gumtree did you?

Thanks for all the responses this is really useful - found the property through spareroom.com I believe he has other properties so can maybe find out whether he has advertised through spareroom before?
    I think I need to do more checks on the landlord to make sure he is the landlord!!!!!
    Thanks
    Entering a few comps here and there 2020 seems my best year for wins so far:- iphone xs, limited edition whiskey, Masha and the Bear toys, newborn baby stuff, 3 x books, 12 months membership to diet app, bottle of syrup, Baby Shark singing puppet, children’s book, Nasty vegan shake x 2 packs.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,594
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    perfect10 wrote: »
    I think I need to do more checks on the landlord to make sure he is the landlord!!!!!
    Thanks

Ask if he is the property owner (it is possible for non owners to legitimately let the house e.g. tenants with permission to sublet). If he claims to be an owner, check this with Land Registry (costs just £3).
  • DumbMuscle wrote: »
    The ability to recover a large amount via a legal process is rarely actually as good as not having to go through the legal process in the first place!

simples, just dont pay the last couple months rent..... two can play the game. Landlord plays fair, tenant plays fair..... :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure