PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A "bung it together" dinner here tonight. LO pasta from last night with peas & corn, crispy chicken burger thing and a splodge of sweet chilli sauce. Wasn't pretty to look at but tasted better than it looked ;), really CBA cooking tonight but wanted a hot meal that wasn't "something on toast":)

A very little planting done this afternoon but at least it was something:)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    For dinner - I just tried out a recipe for a crepe made of chickpea flour (translation - made it myself by grinding dried chickpeas in my Vitamix) with spinach/water/garlic and had it with a filling of sauted mushrooms. Drizzled tahini dressing over the top and served with tomatoes. End verdict - well I ate it, but shan't be making it again.
    May not be your thing but that sounds lovely to me, with a side salad, portion of beans and vegan coleslaw, mm.

Today's dinner is tofu vegetable fajitas. This will open a pack of wraps I have. Tomorrow will likely be chickpea 'tuna' wraps due to this.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2017 at 8:51PM
    caronc wrote: »
    A "bung it together" dinner here tonight. LO pasta from last night with peas & corn, crispy chicken burger thing and a splodge of sweet chilli sauce. Wasn't pretty to look at but tasted better than it looked ;), really CBA cooking tonight but wanted a hot meal that wasn't "something on toast":)
    That actually sounds really nice to me. I love sweet chilli sauce. :)
  • caronc
    That actually sounds really nice to me. I love sweet chilli sauce. :)
    Yes it was tasty enough, a wannae-be chicken milanese with spaghetti which I like in Italian reataurants:D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I've never seen pasta as something desirable. I like mac/cheese and don't mind spagbol, but I'd never choose to pay to eat pasta if I were eating out as I just see it as "a cheap plate filler" and nothing to get excited about.

I usually just whip up enough for one; that's one good thing about it - keeps in the cupboard all year round and you can whip up a portion for one in under 5 minutes.

On a menu, I'd feel "cheated" if I had to choose pasta :) I'd want "proper food".
  • caronc
    I've never seen pasta as something desirable. I like mac/cheese and don't mind spagbol, but I'd never choose to pay to eat pasta if I were eating out as I just see it as "a cheap plate filler" and nothing to get excited about.

I usually just whip up enough for one; that's one good thing about it - keeps in the cupboard all year round and you can whip up a portion for one in under 5 minutes.

On a menu, I'd feel "cheated" if I had to choose pasta :) I'd want "proper food".

Tend to agree with you unless it is a set lunch menu which is what we tend to go for when I'll take chicken milanese if it is one of the options or I might have some kind of pasta with italian sausage in the starter size otherwise :)

Lovely and sunny here and I'm not CFO for a couple of days as my younger son is coming up. No idea what the meal plans are possibly BBQ or fish"n"chips:D. Breakfast was toast & banana and a handful of strawberries.
  • Hollyharvey

I'm having pasta today, but totally agree about ordering it in a restaurant, it's something I never do. I consider it a fairly cheap meal and when I look at past on a lot of menus and the price, I always think "that is a rip off". Take mac and cheese, at a local hotel where I sometimes have a bar meal, mac and cheese is £11.95 and supreme of chicken with a mushroom and tarragon sauce, new or roast baby potatoes, and a selection of seasonal veg is the same price. Needless to say, I always have the chicken :)
  • caronc
    £11.95 for macaroni cheese :eek:, that's steep. It's £5.95 in our local italian and I think that's dear:(

Lunch was a wodge of stottie cake stuffed with tomato and salad cream and some radishes from the garden:).

We are definitely bbqing tonight - it is so seldom that the combination of good weather and not CFO collide that it's a shame not too. My son has just headed to the trout fishery so hopefully some fresh fish on the menu and he'll nip to M&S foodhall on the way back for other bits.;):D
  • Hollyharvey
    Afternoon everyone,

I had a Greek yoghurt and a banana for breakfast this morning. It had to be quick as I had a hospital appointment.

Lunch was a BBQ chicken sandwich. I popped into M & S when I got off the bus on the way back home, and managed to get a packet of the ready cooked BBQ chicken y/s and thought that would make a nice change for lunch.

Dinner is going to be spaghetti and meatballs. I have made up my favourite sauce for meatballs, which is a tomato based sauce with onions, garlic, chilli, basil and balsamic vinegar, I make it with quite a bit of chilli and the balsamic seems to add something to it. I have noticed it's not quite so nice if I forget to put the balsamic in. I'm looking forward to that when I'm hungry. It will make a nice change. There will be leftovers though, 2 portions I will either eat it again tomorrow and freeze 1 portion or freeze the 2 extra portions. I think I will freeze the sauce and meatballs separate though so that I can always make up a different sauce.

I need to make some cakes tomorrow for pudding. Meanwhile I found the last remaining crumble in the freezer (unlabelled so it is either apple or apple/blackberry or rhubarb, it will be a nice surprise :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 5:37PM
    caronc wrote: »
    £11.95 for macaroni cheese, that's steep. It's £5.95 in our local italian and I think that's dear
    It sort of started happening about 10 years ago - places that sold food suddenly started describing the dishes and presenting a bistro or gourmet style menu ... and doubling prices. Indeed, it's hard to find "macaroni cheese" these days, it's more "handmade macaroni blended with 3 organic locally sourced cheeses, cooked over an organic wood fired stove and served with an organic jus, locally sourced sustainable rocket leaves and healthy seeds"

I'd find it very strange and exciting to find food as cheap as £5.95 these days without a really good long research session.

I just googled "macaroni cheese" and then my town name - first two results showed it priced on menus at £9.95 or part of a 3-course £25 meal (pre-ordered and for a minimum group of 10). There was a "caff" that sells it at £5.25 to be fair though.

I decided that tea would be baked spud (nuked) topped with cheese and the final 1/3rd of the tin of beans I opened 2-4 days ago.

Half way through cooking that the weather went from cool/overcast to hot/sunny .... which was annoying .... but it's now gone cool/overcast again, so, on balance, I probably did right.

I had to use up more of the spuds I bought ... and the beans needed using up - and I know I'll be buying more cheese at the weekend, so don't have to "go easy and think about how it's used".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure