PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Comments

• ViolaLass wrote: »
    Are they otherwise good tenants? Pay their rent on time?

Why would you want to throw that away on the sayso of a neighbour?

They paid all of their rent in advance but I just really don't like dogs in my property, I may have to live there again in the future and I am allergic to dog fur.
  • Oh dear...

Please tell me what I am missing
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I wouldn't bother if they are otherwise good tenants and trying to get them our early is more trouble than it's worth. I had good tenants who got a cat without asking me, but I didn't mind seeing as they were good tenants and it was only a cat. I would have been less happy had it been a dog, but I wouldn't have lost them over it.

If it makes you that unhappy you could give them notice at the end of their tenancy, which means no more than two months before the end of the 12-month period, and if there is any real damage from the dog (for example, some friends had a tenant with a dog that scratched the back door to pieces) it can justifiably come out of the deposit.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite

Only a tenant or a court can be a tteenancy. If they choose I stay out need to eevict.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Quite a lot, I'd say.
    Please tell me you have protected their deposit, at least?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary

You don't seem to have a clue how a tenancy can be ended.

Read G_M's guide to Ending/renewing an AST.

You also need to understand that it is no longer your flat, it's your tenants'.
  • Oh dear...
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    You don't seem to have a clue how a tenancy can be ended.

Read G_M's guide to
    You also need to understand that it is no longer your flat, it's your tenants'.

What I am saying is that I don't understand Guest101's statement:
    "Also sell up once you do legally evict them, in about 12-14 months, via the courts"

The poster says that I shouldn't bother trying to get them out (they have 8 months left on contract), then says I should evict them through the courts and sell up! I'm saying, why would I need to get the courts involved after the 8 months, since I can just give them notice to leave when their contract is up? Maybe it's a joke and I don't get it.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    Only a tenant or a court can be a tteenancy. If they choose I stay out need to eevict.

You have been drinking.
  • Grabs some popcorn......
  • Polly05
    Polly05 Posts: 376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you were to move back in, wouldn't you have the carpets all professionally cleaned? Wouldn't that remove any trace of dog hair from the carpet?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure