Hyundai i20 - Faulty ABS - Dealer Gripe

Ed_Zep
Ed_Zep Posts: 340 Forumite
The ABS is faulty so I took it to a dealer knowing full well the price to get it sorted would be a rip-off. £1729, in fact. :eek:

It didn't bother me too much because you can usually get second-hand parts. However, after the woman showed me the details of the work I asked "Can I have the part number, please?" and she said "Sorry. it's not on the screen". I said "Yes it is, it's there" and she turned the screen back to her. Then she said "Sorry, we can't give out part numbers".

They were supposed to wash and vacuum the car but didn't and left the fuse box cover on the seat. Well at least I know the fuse box is now.

Appalling service, really.

Later on I got a call from a half-asleep sounding mechanic saying they couldn't get a second-hand part and I explained there were loads of them on eBay and you can get ABS modules repaired for a fraction of the price.

Comments

• loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You cannot realistically expect a main dealer to fit a used part. Go to a local independent back street garage for that.
    If you know that you can get the module repaired, remove it, send it away and when it comes back fixed re fit it.
    You will save yourself a packet.
  • Ed_Zep
    loskie wrote: »
    You cannot realistically expect a main dealer to fit a used part. Go to a local independent back street garage for that.
    If you know that you can get the module repaired, remove it, send it away and when it comes back fixed re fit it.
    You will save yourself a packet.

I think you misread my post. The point was that they wouldn't give me the part number so I could get it installed by an independent, back street garage.
    I didn't expect or want them to do the work. Just to tell me what was wrong with the ABS.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ed_Zep wrote: »
    I think you misread my post. The point was that they wouldn't give me the part number so I could get it installed by an independent, back street garage.
    I didn't expect or want them to do the work. Just to tell me what was wrong with the ABS.
    You say you knew the dealer would be a "rip-off" - so why take it there in the first place? Because they're the only one with the requisite diagnostic kit? Isn't that part of what you pay the dealer premium for?

Why not just let the indie diagnose and source the parts? That why, your consumer protection is far stronger.

Go to them, say "The problem is X, the part number is Y - please order and fit it", and you have no comeback if that does not resolve the issue.

Go to them, say "My ABS is AWOL, please fix it", and you have protection.

On many modern cars, used ECUs cannot be fitted, because they're coded to the car, and cannot be re-coded to a different car. That may or may not be the case for your Hyundai, but I suspect I'm not the only one here who does not know that for sure.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Most garages, never mind dealers, would not fit used parts..... If it goes faulty they have absolutely no backup, but if a new warrantied part goes faulty they can claim their costs back.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    I think they could reasonably charge for that ; and they might not know what the problem is, until they start changing parts.

The common factor about things offered for sale, is that the seller wants money more than the thing ; which might mean the thing doesn't work.
    If you get a second-hard part, fitted by a back-street garage ; you then have 3 ways for it to o wrong : wrong diagnosis, bad part, bad process. Think of the dealer price as buying an insurance policy.

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/where.asp
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's a bit worrying that a dealer replacement of a routine part can cost as much as the vehicle is worth though. Are there any brands left where franchised dealer repair costs don't make a 7+ year old car a financial write-off?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    buglawton wrote: »
    It's a bit worrying that a dealer replacement of a routine part can cost as much as the vehicle is worth though. Are there any brands left where franchised dealer repair costs don't make a 7+ year old car a financial write-off?

Applied Economics Exam

Question 1.

The problem is that 2nd hand cars are too cheap.

Depreciation is too high.

Discuss. ;)
  • Ed_Zep
    edited 9 July 2017 at 10:22PM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You say you knew the dealer would be a "rip-off" - so why take it there in the first place? Because they're the only one with the requisite diagnostic kit? Isn't that part of what you pay the dealer premium for?

Why not just let the indie diagnose and source the parts? That why, your consumer protection is far stronger.

Go to them, say "The problem is X, the part number is Y - please order and fit it", and you have no comeback if that does not resolve the issue.

Go to them, say "My ABS is AWOL, please fix it", and you have protection.

On many modern cars, used ECUs cannot be fitted, because they're coded to the car, and cannot be re-coded to a different car. That may or may not be the case for your Hyundai, but I suspect I'm not the only one here who does not know that for sure.

Yes, I needed the Hyundai diagnostics.
    Also, yes the pump and ECU module are combined. The dealer offered to code a used one. However, I've found places that repair them and returm them without a needing a code.

£195 for the repair and then fitting on top.

It's amazing what you can save when you shop around. :)
  • Ed_Zep
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    . Think of the dealer price as buying an insurance policy.

£1729 is too high a premium. :)
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    My first car was £200 and 10 years old.
    My mother commented on its poor condition after only 10 years.
    I replied that if cars lasted better, my £200 would have bought me an equally poor condition 20 year old car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure