Guide discussion: Tax-Free Childcare

Comments

• mozz100
    mozz100 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Difficulties logging in are making this unusable for me. Are others finding the same? I can't even find the login page, so to access my account I'm going through the sign up process to the point where I can log in with govt gateway. Then, nine times out of ten I just get an error message. "We're experiencing technical difficulties. We don't know when the service will be available again. Please try again later."

So of course I submitted some feedback. Guess what happens when I submit the feedback form... "We're experiencing technical difficulties..."

This system doesn't seem ready for prime time to me. Are others having more luck with it? Am I missing a trick?
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2017 at 8:11AM
    http://www.giveyourselfachoice.com/

This should help people make a decision of what is best for them.

I notice someone mention they use childcare vouchers & childcare element of tax credits - just to warn you, HRMC needs to know because you could get overpaid.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • JonathanB
    JonathanB Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My daughter will start nursery in January 2018 just before she is 11 months old with a cost of about £730/month.

Can we sign up for tax-free childcare now (May 2017) and start saving or does it only work when they start their childcare? If the latter, is the saving per tax year, and if so could we max out the account for the first three months and then start again in April?
  • The_Enforcer
    The_Enforcer Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mozz100 wrote: »
    I can't even find the login page, so to access my account I'm going through the sign up process to the point where I can log in with govt gateway.

This is how I have accessed our account previously:

https://childcare-support.tax.service.gov.uk/par/app/applynow

You click on the start now button then go through the pages where it asks if you were invited and then enter your personal details. You should then be given the option of entering your log in details rather than applying again.
    I came, I saw, I saved.
    Campaign for the Abolition of Political Parties - find us on Facebook
  • MissyMAD
    MissyMAD Posts: 71 Forumite
    The system is really clunky and hard to use, logs out at every moment, takes ages to load pages. Has no online chat even though it says it does.

I wanted to save a log in page but if you do that and log in it doesnt work. You need to use https://www.childcare-support.tax.service.gov.uk then select option 4, then go through adding the DOB of your child then you get the log in. Then the access code, and hopefully you get in.

I have tried many times, it is really frustrating but it will save us money as my other half is self employed so he doesnt get childcare vouchers.

I have managed to create an account, add my childcare provider - after lots of times trying.

I just hope that I can log in to check my account when I am expecting funds to be added - I set up a standing order from my bank.
  • hmd1987
    hmd1987 Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've done the above about 4 times and get the usual message of "Thank you. Your application is being considered. We'll send you a message when we know the result."

I've tried calling up several times but always get the same answer - "you are elligble for the scheme, someone will call you back in a few days"

It's just ridiculous, I have 3 year old twins who go to nursery full time at a cost of £1,400 a month..
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Mupette wrote: »
    I notice someone mention they use childcare vouchers & childcare element of tax credits - just to warn you, HRMC doesn't like that it's one or the other and if caught you will have to pay the childcare element of tax credits back and be in a bit of trouble

Not true. Childcare vouchers and tax credits can be claimed together, there is nothing to stop anyone doing this. It isn't usually a good idea because you end up worse off in most cases. We only did this because our childcare costs were above the maximum limit for tax credits and because I have grandfathered rights to higher rate tax relief on my vouchers.

The new tax free childcare cannot be claimed at the same time as tax credits, it is in the rules of the scheme. If you claim both, something will need repaid.
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    pnims wrote: »
    Will joining tax free childcare affect child care element of working tax credits?

Yes. You will have to stop claiming any tax credits because the two cannot be taken together.
  • Rachw8
    Rachw8 Posts: 2 Newbie
    I've had the same issues. i managed to get set up and add a nursery provider. but now every time i try to log in it comes up with 'technical difficulties'.

I'm now worried that if i ever manage to get into it to set up a standing order i wont be able to pay my nursery as i've never managed to get into my account since setting it up. i cant risk this when i get charged for late payments...

:mad::mad:
  • Rachw8
    Rachw8 Posts: 2 Newbie
    mozz100 wrote: »
    Difficulties logging in are making this unusable for me. Are others finding the same? I can't even find the login page, so to access my account I'm going through the sign up process to the point where I can log in with govt gateway. Then, nine times out of ten I just get an error message. "We're experiencing technical difficulties. We don't know when the service will be available again. Please try again later."

So of course I submitted some feedback. Guess what happens when I submit the feedback form... "We're experiencing technical difficulties..."

This system doesn't seem ready for prime time to me. Are others having more luck with it? Am I missing a trick?

Yep i'm having exactly the same problem... so frustrating :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure