Grants for home insulation - bargains!

Options

Comments

• leeegglestone
    leeegglestone Posts: 2,592 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I was looking into this a couple of weeks ago, I emailed my local council & they provided a phone number to ring to see if i would be eligable for any Heating/Home grants.

Am buying a 2bed detatched house, built approx 1930's.I had a survey done and it needs new cavity wall ties.

Heres a question. If the cavity walls dont have insulation, do I get the wall ties done & then the insulation. in theory it makes sense to get it done at the same time. however if the council or who ever pays for it, do they pay you the money or send someone to do it. was just curious incase when i have new wall ties done they push to do insulation aswell. i wouldnt want to pay for something that I dont need to.

I will be living on my own, obviously reduced income tax rate, I earn less than £16K. Would I still get a grant for the wall insulation. heres presuming it needs it & the loft. Suppose if its free and the come to survey it, doesnt matter to me if they find it doesnt need it.

Anything to keep my bills down & save the environment
  • i live in scvotland, does anyone know how to apply for boiler replacement grant and isulation grant,my son who is 18years old receives D.L.A benefit
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had a flyer through the door for Home Insulation by an outfit called KHI Ltd of Nottingham. They are obviously cashing in on the Government's funding for this, but may of course be quite genuine.

It appears I qualify as it's not means tested (I wouldn't qualify otherwise) and the cost to me would be about 50% of the full cost. This is stated to be £299 for cavity wall and loft insulation on a 2/3 bedroom detached bungalow.

I don't normally trust flyers but I just thought I'd ask. Anyone any comments, especially about KHI, the suggested figure of cost to me, any experiences of the job itself, and so on.

Thanks in advance schiff ;)
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Don't know the company, Schiff, tho they be in Google.
    £299 sounds a good price. I had the loft topped up early this year by 10" and that cost £107, the total bill was £288 the rest paid by Powergen.
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    why do they not insulate solid walls.it seems like discrimination to me.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Same with floor insulation,Dav., they don't touch it.
    Had it out with the local EST.
    The contractors are cherry pickers, anyway.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    LOft and wall insulation has proved to be excellent for me as my house is always warmer than neighbours and we are the end the wind blows from.

Worth doing if you can get help to do so.
  • russjacks
    russjacks Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    i used the company you are talking about KHI, they come to do a survey had to drill a hole in the wall to see if i had any wall insulation, no other way of doing it. i had to clear out my loft when they came to insulate, i was at work all day but when i came home i could not belive the amount of insulation they had put in my loft, i thought they would just fill the gaps between the wood spars. but in fact they filled the gaps then layed insulation the other way on top of that, they insulated all my tanks and any pipe work that was showing. They did an absolutly fantastic job with no hassel at all.
    You get a full report about any other ways they can see were you may be losing energy. and any reconmendations they have.
  • Liz33
    Liz33 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    I was going to ring up and enquire about the initative Ken Livingstone has launched with British Gas for anyone living in London which was cavity wall insulation from £250 & loft insulation from £274 with £100 cashback (to first 30,000). Has anyone done this?

However in the meantime will check out these other options as they seem a better deal.
    Sealed pot challenge - £400 no.491
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I don't think cavity walls came in until 1930's.

The normal method of insulating inside the walls is 'Dry Lining'.

Essentially battens are fixed to the wall and plaster boards fixed to them. The space inside is filled with insulation.

I had it done on an old cottage, made an improvement but not as effective as cavity walls.

Might be worth considering for the main room if you have someone good at DIY -and you needed to decorate anyway - but not an easy task.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure