Being charged to leave Sky?

2»

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,072 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2017 at 9:58AM
    It's extremely possible to cancel your cancellation!
    They'll welcome you "back" with open arms.

In the meantime, you might want to try cancelling regardless (come August) and see what deals Sky offer you tempting you to stay.

I would check if cancelling a cancellation in effect commits you to another minimum term, they may say by cancelling the cancellation you by default are accepting a 'new' deal, even if it's at standard (not discounted) prices, obviously if you cancel the cancellation and they give you money off, or give you something for 'free' like movies for 6 months, you will be committed to a new minimum term

As far as the original point, I have been a Sky TV customer for many years, a few years ago my Sky TV box stopped working, they said the would replace it for £60, I said 'No, just cancel the TV ' they came back with we will fix it for £25 ( because I had been a long standing customer, ) I said , 'No ,cancel it,' they then finally said they would fix/replace the box for free , but they did say that accepting this meant I would be committed to a 12 month minimum term, perhaps something similar happened to the friend of the OP's wife
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    While most do need phone and broadband, tv is not an essential, so there is no harm in cancelling tv and going without the paid for channels (the box still works for free channels but with no recording, pause, rewind etc..

Phone and broadband can be dealt with two weeks later, but must be done via a new provider to keep the number and prevent a break in service.

Cancelling tv will almost certainly produce offers, even better if tv goes off and then a deal including the others may be haggled.

However,if you let phone/broadband go beyond your end date, you will be paying full price which will eat into any offer elsewhere;just a risk you have to take.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    iniltous wrote: »
    I would check if cancelling a cancellation in effect commits you to another minimum term,
    It definitely does not result in a new minimum term, unless such a move is made as part of a retention deal. Simply retaining the same services on the same terms cannot be deemed a change and so cannot start a new term.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    While most do need phone and broadband, tv is not an essential, so there is no harm in cancelling tv and going without the paid for channels (the box still works for free channels but with no recording, pause, rewind etc..

Phone and broadband can be dealt with two weeks later, but must be done via a new provider to keep the number and prevent a break in service.

Cancelling tv will almost certainly produce offers, even better if tv goes off and then a deal including the others may be haggled.

However,if you let phone/broadband go beyond your end date, you will be paying full price which will eat into any offer elsewhere;just a risk you have to take.

If i remember correctly i took out their TV package and shortly after this i added on their phone & broadband deal so i think the TV contract is separate. I'd need to check on that.

I'm totally going to go ahead with the TV cancellation. They'd have to offer me a pretty spectacular deal for me to stay because what is BT TV ... £5pm? £10pm? I'm paying £32pm currently so they'd need to practically give me it.

I can't cancel the broadband though and then wait on a BT deal. Likewise if i sign up to switch to BT i guess i'll end up being switched within 31 days so i'd just have to accept a hit.

I have no interest at all regardless of offer of staying with Sky for their broadband. I found that BT was much more reliable (and quicker too). Paying full whack for BT is very steep but in a deal they'll be worth it.

Factor in TopCashBack again for being a 'new' customer (i'll have left it over 12 months since i was last with them) and it'll be even more worth it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The minimum term is a year, but cancellation requires one month's notice. You can give notice prior to the twelve months being up, but obviously your cancellation will only take effect one month after the initial year is up at the earliest.

That's a fairly standard contract term for all telcos.

Incorrect.

You can cancel on the last day of the minimum term, the clue is in the name.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 June 2017 at 12:10AM

You can cancel on the last day of the minimum term, the clue is in the name.
    If the OP cancels on the last day of the minimum term then the actual cancellation won't take effect until a month later.
    How is that "incorrect"?

If, however, he cancels eleven months into the minimum term the cancellation will come at the same time as the minimum term ends.

Lots of stories of Sky making it difficult to do the latter, though. Might have to be insistent.

EDIT; Just edited my original post to provide clarity, as I can now see how it was misunderstood.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That'll do then.

Still if my contract is up at the end of Aug and then BT do a decent deal say 1st October which will be available for [unknown time period], i could give the 31 days notice and then miss the deal (& be without any TV or internet, unless they let me cancel a cancellation)
    or i could just go ahead and switch but i imagine i'll be hit with some charge.

When the decent BT deals come out, coupled with cashback they are pretty decent deals so i guess i'll probably just have to accept the hit and switch.

It's your minimum term that's up, not your contract. Do nothing at end of minimum term and the contract continues until such time as you give notice, to get the BT deal you want. Obviously if you are on a time-limited promo offer that ends 31/8, then you will pay Sky a bit more until you switch to BT.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport