Cancellation Policy Advice please

Hello,
Ironically this is about boosting self esteem.
Early May I was approached to join an exclusive retreat from 1st to 8th August 2017 from a well known author (self help) due to someone cancelling and I jumped at the chance. First half of the full amount was paid on 4th May by bank transfer with the remainder paid last week.
When booked I received an email saying how excited they were that I was coming but with no receipt of payment, outstanding balance or any T&Cs regarding cancellation.
Since then, my health has worsened through illness and am no longer able to go. I contacted the support team on Friday 9th June to cancel however they have come back and said I am not entitled to any refund due to their T&Cs (even though I have never been sent anything or visible on their website?). Surely this should be visible as part of my consumer rights especially when this was £1600 and given this is almost 2 months away. I have no receipt, no T&Cs, nothing.
Please can anybody offer any help or advice??!!!
Thanks

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    CGP32 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Ironically this is about boosting self esteem.
    Early May I was approached to join an exclusive retreat from 1st to 8th August 2017 from a well known author (self help) due to someone cancelling and I jumped at the chance. First half of the full amount was paid on 4th May by bank transfer with the remainder paid last week.
    When booked I received an email saying how excited they were that I was coming but with no receipt of payment, outstanding balance or any T&Cs regarding cancellation.
    Since then, my health has worsened through illness and am no longer able to go. I contacted the support team on Friday 9th June to cancel however they have come back and said I am not entitled to any refund due to their T&Cs (even though I have never been sent anything or visible on their website?). Surely this should be visible as part of my consumer rights especially when this was £1600 and given this is almost 2 months away. I have no receipt, no T&Cs, nothing.
    Please can anybody offer any help or advice??!!!
    Thanks
    Hi, welcome to the forums.

Can you please tell us the name of the company?

You won't be able to post a proper link to their website, but if you break up the link with a couple of blanks we should be able to work it out.
  • CGP32
    CGP32 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Thank you for your help and thanks for the welcome.
    It's Mel Wells and it's her retreat Company. It's the Bali trip on 1st August.
    You should be able to find the website easily through google.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, you cannot be bound by T&C's that you had no opportunity to become acquainted with. However in the absence of T&C's, common law would apply.

And under common law, if you do not have a contractual or statutory right to cancel a contract, it is whats known as wrongful cancellation (breach of contract basically). In those circumstances, you would be liable for any reasonable losses incurred as a result of your breach. They have a duty to try and mitigate their losses (by reselling to someone else for example), but if they werent able to, you could potentially be liable for the full contract price (although any savings should be factored in - ie if its full board and they no longer have to order in food for your stay).
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • wealdroam
    Here's the link to that Bali trip: melwells.com/baliretreat.

Interesting to note that it is sold out.
    If you were to cancel, I wonder if they would be able to re-sell your place?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Oh dear it looks like one of those hippy places you only see in the movies, do people actually go to these things for real?
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    The terms are in the sites footer, but these are just generic script terms with their name added to make it relevant to the site.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    If your doctor confirms that you are medically unfit to go then you can reclaim via your travel insurance - its what its for.
  • CGP32
    CGP32 Posts: 4 Newbie
    I know that there was a waiting list for people to sign up.. there must be people ready to take the place. They said that I could try and find a replacement.. but as I don't actually have a social network (the whole reason I was going on it is for the self-esteem etc) this is useless. They would be the ones with details of others.
    @unholyangel do you have a reference that would help me argue my case with them please?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Reference for what? That they have a duty to mitigate their losses?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • wealdroam
    OP, as you say, there are no Terms and Conditions on their website that are relevant to your booking.

Did you actually make your booking with melwells.com or was some other company involved?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure