Repairs to guttering and downpipe

I am a newbie homeowner and therefore have no idea how much repairs cost. Hope someone can help me out.

The guttering at the back of my house (small three bed semi) has a few problems: It slopes downwards at the end where there isn't a downpipe, causing water to pour out at an alarming rate when it rains. It seems that one of the clips/brackets holding the guttering up needs replacing.

Also, two brackets securing the downpipe to the house have gone thanks to corrosion and need replacing. I want all guttering cleared of leaves etc as well, front and back. Then there is a small issue with the water butt not filling up.

I asked a local property maintenance firm for a quote and they came back with £50 for materials and £120 for labour. Am I right in thinking that this is excessive?

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    £50 sounds a lot for for a couple of clips and a new downspout. Check it out in B&q. If you don't mind getting up the ladder yourself clearing gutters is not a big job. There are lots of videos on google or youtube, look at them before getting someone in, at least you'll know what they're going to do for their money.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • SternMusik
    SternMusik Posts: 352 Forumite
    Thanks, I'll check out the DIY stores and also get some more quotes in. I am not very good on tall ladders so I'd definitely prefer to get someone in to do it...
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Toolstation are quite competitive on guttering if you're just looking to get some prices for parts:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing+Drainage/112mm+Half+Round/d250/sd2688

I'm looking to have similar work carried out. Easier said than done as there are a lot of cowboys out there who will happily do the work then disappear.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    [QUOTE=SternMusik;54849625I_am_not_very_good_on_tall_ladders_so_I'd_definitely_prefer_to_get_someone_in_to_do_it...[/QUOTE]

When i was doing some work once i drilled the wall every few feet and put a few screw-in rings in, now whenever i have to go up the ladder there's something to tie the top of it to..
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • SternMusik
    Crabman wrote: »
    Toolstation are quite competitive on guttering if you're just looking to get some prices for parts:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roofing+Drainage/112mm+Half+Round/d250/sd2688

I'm looking to have similar work carried out. Easier said than done as there are a lot of cowboys out there who will happily do the work then disappear.

Well, they did want to rip me off for materials, by the looks of it!! It seems such a straightforward job, but I am struggling to find reliable people to do these small-ish repairs.
  • SternMusik
    SailorSam wrote: »
    When i was doing some work once i drilled the wall every few feet and put a few screw-in rings in, now whenever i have to go up the ladder there's something to tie the top of it to..

That's a good idea! However I fear that even with the most secure ladder in the world I would still make a mess of this job :)
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    SternMusik wrote: »
    Well, they did want to rip me off for materials, by the looks of it!! It seems such a straightforward job, but I am struggling to find reliable people to do these small-ish repairs.

It may be worth looking to see if you have a Eurocell trade counter (or any other trade outlet) near you. I found one and asked if they had any numbers for tradesmen (who do guttering) that they see a lot. They said they couldn't officially recommend but didn't mind giving me a couple of numbers for tradesmen who were regular customers there.

The best part was that the tradesmen I contacted knew that I knew from the trade counter staff how much their materials cost to purchase. Hence their quotes were the most competitive. They would also not be keen to do a bad quality job if they knew word of it may get back to the people at the trade place.
  • SternMusik
    Crabman wrote: »
    It may be worth looking to see if you have a Eurocell trade counter (or any other trade outlet) near you. I found one and asked if they had any numbers for tradesmen (who do guttering) that they see a lot. They said they couldn't officially recommend but didn't mind giving me a couple of numbers for tradesmen who were regular customers there.

The best part was that the tradesmen I contacted knew that I knew from the trade counter staff how much their materials cost to purchase. Hence their quotes were the most competitive. They would also not be keen to do a bad quality job if they knew word of it may get back to the people at the trade place.

Great tip, thanks! There is a trade outlet near me. I'll definitely give that one a try.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure