Cavity Wall Insualtion - Good idea or not?

13»

Comments

• Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Yes, but the cavities, where they existed, prior to more general adoption in the 20s/30s, were pretty narrow ones and probably not the best to infill.

People were also still building estates of houses without cavity walls in the 1950s, but they weren't typical of general practice either.

Still a cavity, though! I know ours is about 50mm, as I recently went through both skins putting in a doorbell.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Grenage wrote: »
    Still a cavity, though! I know ours is about 50mm, as I recently went through both skins putting in a doorbell.

Similarly when I was rewiring my Virgin cable it refused to come out through the wall but you could still feed it in. I quickly realised I have a cavity, although it is far from clear, and I did some research into it due everyone saying that they don't exist in houses of my age!
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 2:21PM
    phil24_7 wrote: »
    Similarly when I was rewiring my Virgin cable it refused to come out through the wall but you could still feed it in. I quickly realised I have a cavity, although it is far from clear, and I did some research into it due everyone saying that they don't exist in houses of my age!
    "!Cavity walls" were used primarily because it’s cheaper and quicker to build single skin walls so you can see “cavity walls” in construction for properties of all ages they became more the norm in Uk, Europe in the early 1900,s when profit and time where driving factors of development.
    Years role on and although many would say there not suited for high moisture, marine climates Uk, Ireland etc but might perform very well in a more arid area bit of developers spin to hide the fact there cheaper quicker they become the “cavity walls” of today....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure