Professional consultants certificate

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Possibly not. It does not look like it is needed from a legal perspective and so Redrow are either going above and beyond or are unsure so taking the cautious route.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • It did have the planning permission and building regs sign off, so yes that's right.

Just not sure how that relates to the requirement to have a warranty. Maybe it doesn't at all?

You're right ACG, their solicitors are being very cautious in dealing with something that isn't a legal requirement, and probably something that isn't within their comfort zone so are being very cautious.

I'm worried that getting anything sorted now will be very expensive, particularly as I'm not convinced it's even needed!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,717 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 13 October 2016 at 12:23PM
    I dont have much experience with them (1 mortgage a year ago and it was on a new build so not really the same situation), it cost £200 give or take. (Edit - I was going to delete this, but thought better to just add...I could be wrong on this). You would be best calling around some companies and asking. If it turns out to be peanuts then it may be easier to just get it done.

I dont like part exchanges, I tend to find the housing company down values the property a fair bit.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thanks ACG. I was hoping this would fall away, but if it doesn't, £200 ish doesn't sound bad. If on the other hand it were more than £500, that starts to sound like a lot of money.

I agree with you re the part exchange, but the market isn't amazing at the moment if you're trying to sell a house in a hurry, so I don't think they'll get much (if any) profit on our house taking into account fees.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You can't get a professional to retrospectively say they monitored the work, so they answer has to be that no PCC is available. If the work was just changing the use of the rooms and sticking in a kitchen and bathroom, say, then the buyers are barking up the wrong tree.
  • Thank you David - but how do I convince them of that?
  • davidmcn
    Thank you David - but how do I convince them of that?
    Ask them to specify exactly what work they think ought to have been supervised by a professional.
  • Thank you - I'll see what I can do. I suspect though, they will come back with a vague unhelpful answer such as, "the conversion".
  • davidmcn
    Thank you - I'll see what I can do. I suspect though, they will come back with a vague unhelpful answer such as, "the conversion".
    It will hopefully flush out either (a) that they know something you don't and that there ought to be such a certificate or (b) that they are clueless. But like I said, it's a moot point because there isn't a certificate available anyway, so they'll either need to take a view on it or tell you they're not proceeding and allow you to find a more sensible buyer.

Are there statutory consents for the "conversion" and if so what do they reveal? If it used to be commercial then presumably there was at least planning consent for change of use?
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    I have not come across a PCC for conversion projects so thought I'd do a bit of googling. This is the first result.....https://www.cml.org.uk/lenders-handbook/pcc/

So it seems their request may be reasonable. I think davidmcn has under played how much work needs to be done for a conversion to comply with building regs, it is almost like a new build.

You can get a retrospective certificate but it would involve opening up parts of the building for inspection and is likely to be very expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure