Get paid to walk with Bounts - via a fitness tracker or your phone

articlealert2_banner.gif

Hi, this is the discussion thread for our guide:

Get paid to walk with Bounts - via a fitness tracker or your phone

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks,

MSE Oliver
Grab the latest MSE Deals
Get MSE's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Comments

• SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    No available vouchers for at least 3 weeks now. Customer services not responding. I reckon they are going bust. Would not recommed paying them any money. I certainly wont be renewing membership.
  • Hmm, there is already a quite long-standing discussion thread (on the first page of this forum) that has a lot of detail on the recent issues and so on.
    I'm not sure what is added by this thread?

And given the recent problems, I'm not sure it's a good idea for MSE to be trying to encourage new people to join up.

(Original: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5400906)
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Why oh why are you promoting this considering the vast number of complaints there are about this outfit, not to mention the scathing message from the founder accusing us all of being money grabbers!
    ''I created bounts 5 years ago with the single goal of encouraging people to do more exercise. 1 in 4 people in the UK don't exercise enough according to the Chief Medical Officer. We believed that receiving a virtual points mechanism with the potential for a small physical reward could make a difference and help nudge people to do more.

As it turns out, we've helped 000's of people get back a lot more than they've put in and stay active along the way. We are going to do a better job of telling these stories. The rewards help in this, the rewards are not an open store for those whose primary motivation is as a money making exercise as we know a very small yet vocal % of members treat it.

bounts isn't a Nectar style program, we don't ask you to buy products to earn points at the rate of 1:1,000. So for this to work financially rewards on bounts have always been subject to availability and they come and go. The value of bounts also fluctuates to meet demand. We receive cash rewards for free from suppliers and others that we buy. We are able to buy them because we generate income from advertising, sponsorship, data insights and organisations who work with us to get people active like employees, gym members and people struggling to get active. Premium subscriptions are only a part of our revenue. About 10% of bounts members take one out and if you’re exercising and taking part in challenges you’ll get that value back and in most cases a lot more.

Putting it in context, you would need to spend £5,000 at Tesco and sainsburys to get a £5 voucher. Reward programmes like British Airways Avios also handle the supply of rewards in exactly the same way we do. Reward seats aren't on every flight and at every time. The number and value of points also vary.

I'm proud of what we've created but I know we have more to do. There are features of the app that are difficult to get right due to their complexity but we keep improving them.

People who know the reward program well often benefit more than new members when they get to high-value rewards first. I've been in the shop 6 times in the last 24hrs on 2 occasions I was able to purchase a £5 Amazon voucher for points only (I didn't btw). Hunting for these vouchers is frustrating for some people whereas others accept that it's part of bounts being low cost.

There are improvements on the way. Very soon members will be able to join sponsored challenges to "unlock" a reward from their wishlist giving them more control. Members who are passionate about sharing their fitness stories, referring friends and working with our partners will be rewarded.

I stand by every claim and statement I have made about bounts but new members will be given further clarification as to how it works.

That said, we do need to clarify bounts for members who want to see it as a Nectar type store experience and are not contributing to the culture of the community in a positive way and we reserve the right to cancel memberships. By the same token if anyone is unhappy with bounts and have paid a premium subscription I will refund your money. I'll leave that offer open to anyone until 30th September 2016. If you'd like a refund, please go to https://support.bounts.it and submit a ticket with REFUND as the subject. Any existing bounts points will be held in your account for you to use if you wish for a period of 12 months.''

Regards,
    John Stuart

Founder @ bounts
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2016 at 3:57AM
    SG27 wrote: »
    No available vouchers for at least 3 weeks now. Customer services not responding. I reckon they are going bust. Would not recommed paying them any money. I certainly wont be renewing membership.

There have been very few vouchers available for a couple of months now plus they've recently implemented a cash exchange so now you have to pay THEM £20 PLUS POINTS to get a £25 voucher!

But if you want an ASK Italian or All Bar One voucher then you have to pay £45 plus points :rotfl:
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    There have been very few vouchers available for a couple of months now plus they've recently implemented a cash exchange so now you have to pay THEM £20 PLUS POINTS to get a £25 voucher!

But if you want an ASK Italian or All Bar One voucher then you have to pay £45 plus points :rotfl:

Accordig the mse aricle this is now the norm. Only a few vouchers are released per day. You have to be lucky to get a voucher. So basically you are saving up points on the off chance you can actually get one. Ive been trying for 3 weeks now and in that time never seen a voucher available!
  • Avoid Bounts like the plague it's seems nothing but a ponzi scheme in but name .Some people have thousands & thousands of points they'll never be able to use.Bounts I highly doubt have the funds to cover all the current points folk have.So you'd have to be crazy to pay £15 for premium membership.Why MSE are backing Bounts is bonkers.
  • I am gobsmacked MSE are still promoting this. The founder has had a rant about how it's not "something for nothing" there are hardly any vouchers available unless you want to pay for them and customer service/responses have been woeful. Not to mention the fact anybody who has pointed this out this have been removed from their FB page and comments deleted. It's really a poor way to treat customers, many of whom had paid for premium.
  • I upgraded to Bounts Premium + early this year after reading MSE's write up. Bounts have not delivered what was written on the tin and I have now asked for a refund for my subscription as per their founder's Facebook post - 22 September and still awaiting the refund. Their customer service is dire and it's nigh on impossible to get any emails back from them. It took them longer and longer to send out any rewards and now the amounts of points required has not only changed, but you're also expected to hand over extra money to buy most of the rewards. They are obviously having serious problems and I'd definitely not be handing over any more money to them so I would urge anyone considering joining Bounts to be very cautious. It's sad that they've moved the goal posts and are not man enough to admit to it.
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Why oh why are you promoting this

Erm ...

If you’re new to Bounts, sign up by email (not Facebook) and enter the referral code MSE2016 to get 100 extra points AFTER your first activity. Everyone gets an additional 90 points in total for signing up, connecting your first app or device, and tracking your first activity.

Does that answer why they are still advertising it?
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • I'm up in the air as to whether to keep my premium subscription, having paid for it only a few weeks ago. I have to admit, I fell for it when it said the premium price was on offer, and normally cost significantly more per month. I wonder if they're planning to put it up at some point?

On the one hand, my walk to and from work qualifies as 'exercise' most days, so I'm picking up 600 points a week, but on the other hand I'm not sure there's any point if it's next to impossible to get decent vouchers anyway. I was hoping it would work like surveys, where you nab a £5 voucher here and there and it helps a bit with the Christmas shopping. Having to pay £20 to get an extra £5 on top leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

What do people think? Keep the membership or ditch it?
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills