PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Comments

• Tommelise
    Tommelise Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the link Butterfly Brain - I will have to take a look :)
  • rubytuesday
    rubytuesday Posts: 22,383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Caterina wrote: »
    For anyone living in London, please check the Turkish Food Supermarkets (https://www.tfcsupermarkets.com) for amazing prices on many things, such as yogurt, cheaper to buy there than to make at home! Tomatoes, pasta, nuts, all at very good prices. They often have offers going, I bought a whole load of pasta, 99p for 3 packs of 500g each. Was very reluctant to start with as being Italian my family only wants Italian pasta *rolls eyes*' but they got proved wrong, Turkish pasta is very nice, too. Also on offer 4 tins of tomatoes for 99p, got to go back and stock up!

Thanks Caterina that is right near me but I've not been in it for years.

Will give that a go - the Turkish shop near me is a bit pricey except for Pide and another one is very good for veg.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • Caterina thanks for that also (not too far). I must say those prices are the same as most of the supermarkets (mainly turkish), in green lanes, north london, if anyone is anywhere near. You get great deals on vegetables and pasta also, it really is worth a look.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I managed to get 24 tins of the mushy peas @ 3p a tin and several people put recipes on here and I tried them all and they were great.At that price it was silly not to get them.I also sent some up to my DDs ma-in-law in Barnehurst as she loves mushy peas but can't get to the Tescos at Sidcup to buy any.She reciprocated with some tins of sweetcorn that she managed to buy cheaper in Baxleyheath .So we swop our bargains .As the Aldi near to her has closed down when I go to visit I go via my local Aldi's and get her a couple of bags of veg and fruit to help her out as she struggles on her pension I used to buy her a bunch of flowers but you can't eat flowers no matter how pretty.She is always very pleased as I can buy quite a lot of veg for a couple of quid in Aldis
  • Jackie im not stalking (honest), we must be subscribed to some of the same threads. Re the mushy peas, i froze some in roundish ice cube trays and am going to batter and fry, could make a cheap change. My friend suggested adding cooked potato and veg and spicing, making it like a samosa of sorts, have not tried either, as ploughing through other bits.
  • ive made a half decent soup and stock from basic chicken wings before when money was tight, roasted them first with onion and odd old veg, spinkle of herbs etc, once cooked and cooled picked the chicken off and made stock with the rest, i added couple of very cheap stock cubes from sains*** there basic are 10p for about 8, once cooked strain, add chic, pots veg, lentils and handful porridge oats to pad out, and was very yummy xx
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • Brilliant thread! I am a student and having student finance problems so this is very handy :)

Slimming World tip but very much OS - instead of cheese or white sauce for lasagne topping (or similar), use natural yogurt (value is fine if not for Slimming World) mixed with an egg poured on top. It tastes just like cheese! Would use one egg per 250ml of yogurt, but just try and see whether you like a more solid topping.

HM 'KFC' can be done easily with value chicken wings, legs etc served with HM coleslaw, value/HM chips and value beans. Still feels like a treat!
  • donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Amazing thread! Am 2hrs late getting dinner on lol!

Thank you to everybody who has contributed!
  • lucylema
    lucylema Posts: 834 Forumite
    hkminca wrote: »
    Can I make a suggestion? Depending on where you live obviously, but there is lots of free food to be had by foraging.
    Think of all the apple trees out there that never get picked, or the blackberries, wild damson's, sloe's and plums?
    Don't forget it can always be worth asking, politely of course, if you see a tree in someone's garden that's full of fruit, if they'd mind if you took some for yourself. Most gardeners would rather their excess crops get used than go to waste.
    Then there's eldeberry flowers which can by eaten, dandelions for your greens, nettles for your tea and plenty of wild herbs out and about.
    If you're near the sea then look for cockles, whelks, seaweed or soft shelled crabs. Don't forget you can always try your hand at fishing!
    I'm no expert when it comes to foraging but even in patches of waste ground or parks you can probably find something.
    This time of year is the time to get out there and fill your freezers with lots of free fruit - to supplement the not so healthy, but cheap meals the rest of the year.

And if you don't fancy foraging, why not try enrolling for mystery dining? I did 3 years ago when we were short of money. We now eat out minimum once a week, for free, plus when we were short of cash it gave us something to look forward to.

what is mystery dining?
    Lucylema x :j
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    lucylema wrote: »
    what is mystery dining?
    You sign up for mystery shopping and sometimes they offer you mystery dining at a local pub or restaurant.

I've done a couple but found I didn't make anything out of it, in fact it cost me as I was told we needed to go as a couple but they then only paid for my meal! Also had to pay petrol to get there.

Denise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport