Playing a PlayStation 2 through a 4k TV.

The picture is very blurry, which is kinda what I'd expect given the console isn't HD and is 15+ years old.

Is there any way to make the picture look more sharp, either with cables I can purchase for the PS2 or settings on my HD TV?

Comments

• Lumstorm
    Lumstorm Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you connect it with a component cable it would improve picture quality, how is it connected now is it through a composite cable?

There's also PS2 hdmi convertors such as this https://www.amazon.co.uk/WMicroUK-Quality-Converter-Works-monitor/dp/B00FP9SF4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497715347&sr=8-2&keywords=ps2+to+hdmi

I can't vouch for them I use my PS3 for PS2 games I have, but might be worth a try.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    There is questionable methods of doing it (as in not illegal but gray areas) of playing games on your home computer if its powerful enough, even at SD resolutions it will look far better than a real console and not limited to region locking, having save states and such and ability to (which is a gray area) play off hard drive if need be.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Get a 32 inch CRT TV for free and it'll look better!
    Yes, progressive cables, as above, are the best official method, but won't be much better than normal SCART. Please tell me you're not viewing the picture via just the yellow phono, or TV modulator!
    You're resolution limited - the PS2 is only putting out so many pixels. The SIZE of your TV, rather than the resolution, means that you're stretching them so very much.
    So down to settings - look for sharpness, and play around with that to your own preference. Making the picture LESS sharp, on the PS2 input only, might look more acceptable. Any motion enhancing stuff, noise reduction stuff, any 'enhancements' basically, turn them off (if you have a 'Game Mode' it might switch them off anyway), and re-introduce them one by one if you want to attempt a better picture, but for the size of the TV, it's simply a poor source.
  • King_Nothing
    King_Nothing Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The cheap RGB Scart/HDMI convertors give a slightly improved picture, but still not the best, you can get dedicated HDMI upscalers like what I have with a thing called a Framemeister but they cost about £350-400.
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lumstorm said exactly what I was going to say, about HDMI converters. I got one recently where it converts RGB to HDMI. Seems clear enough on mine!
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    If you are willing to go to the effort of setting up an emulator on your pc, you can play the games in 4k.
  • Billy101
    Billy101 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Nothing will modify the picture quality. Unless, you open up your console and change and the motherboard and graphic card along with powersupply and other minor changes. In short, It is not possible, modification alone wont do much as it won't run the same games in higher graphics even after modification.
  • Billy101
    Energize wrote: »
    If you are willing to go to the effort of setting up an emulator on your pc, you can play the games in 4k.

That's one way of doing it :beer:
  • Billy101
    Jlawson118 wrote: »
    Lumstorm said exactly what I was going to say, about HDMI converters. I got one recently where it converts RGB to HDMI. Seems clear enough on mine!

I tried this, results were that much noticeable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure