PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is it worth paying £50 to have a pair of boots re healed and soled?

I have a pair of black Timberland boots which I love and have had for ages. The heals have worn down and when I took them to a heal bar to have them re healed I was advised it wasn't worth having them just healed as the soles are getting thin too and to do both would be £50.

So should I have them done or just go for a new pair?
Rational judgement, now, at this very moment.

Virtuous action, now, at this very moment.
(Wisdom, Courage, Self-control, Justice)

Willing acceptance - now, at this very moment - of what you can’t change

Comments

• Depends on the price of a new pair of boots. If they cost £70 new then a £50 repair wouldn't be worth it to me but if they were over £100 then it would.
  • then have them rehealed but sales on soon may be able to get brand new pair of boots i like ides of nice new boots;)
  • ruthber
    ruthber Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That sounds very expensive to me. Clarks are having a sale on at the moment, look on their website they probably have new boots in that price range.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Can you find an old fashioned cobblers instead of a heel bar and get a price from them ?
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    My fav boots cost £20 to be re heeled, soled and zip fixed by a proper cobbler so I say worth shopping around...though obv the soles might be different £50 does seem like a lot to me
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thank you for all your replies. I think I will see if I can find a cobbler to give me a quote for the repairs it might be the type of sole which makes it expensive i don't know. If it is still that much I will wait for the sales, would like another Timberland pair this pair have lasted years and have been really comfortable.

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    that sounds quite a high price ive just paid £15 to get mine rehealed which were a pair of clarks boots ive had for 7 years which cost over £100 at the time so i guess £15 didnt seem too much if they can keep me going a while longer. ask around for diff quotes
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • i think £50 is overpriced for a re-heeling job. at the v. old-fashioned cobblers i use (Fosters, Bulwell in Nottingham) they are extremely cheap for their bag repairs. i've had zips, straps etc., done for less than a few quid. so if you're anywhere near me then it's worth trying them out. You must have gone to a chain, or a fancy one for them to charge you so much. surely, you can wait til the Jan sales and find something similar. Timberlands are v good quality so i'm sure you want to 'save' them, just shop around for the best quote.
  • gatita
    gatita Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Probably won't help you if you want them done quickly, but I took some shoes I needed heeling to a cobbler in Spain and was staggered at the difference in price!! just 4 euros!!
    Iwas quoted £16 here.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Moneybot
    Moneybot Posts: 10,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    gatita wrote: »
    Probably won't help you if you want them done quickly, but I took some shoes I needed heeling to a cobbler in Spain and was staggered at the difference in price!! just 4 euros!!
    Iwas quoted £16 here.

Actually I love the idea of popping to Spain to get my boots repaired not sure how I'm going to convince OH :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport