Early Loan Repayment question

I have a loan with Barclays Finance, car purchase.

The loan has 17 months to run, and i wish to make a full repayment of balance. The repayment figure quoted is just about equal to to 17 times monthly payment, so as far as I can see no benefit from early repayment. Also looking at loan documentation, interest seems to be fully front loaded.

I was under the impression that interest could not be charged ( early repayment charge excluded), on period of early repayment.

Help appreciated

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    overend wrote: »
    I have a loan with Barclays Finance, car purchase.

The loan has 17 months to run, and i wish to make a full repayment of balance. The repayment figure quoted is just about equal to to 17 times monthly payment, so as far as I can see no benefit from early repayment. Also looking at loan documentation, interest seems to be fully front loaded.

I was under the impression that interest could not be charged ( early repayment charge excluded), on period of early repayment.

Help appreciated

is it a written quote?
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    is it a written quote?
    When you say "just about" equal, what's the difference? What are your monthly payments? How much was the agreement for and how much did you borrow?

They are allowed to charge you two months' interest on the outstanding amount for settling early.

Front loading doesn't happen, it's not allowed.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Monthly repayment £117, difference between 17 times monthly and settlement figure plus £30.

My first statement issued Jan 2013 shows a capital sum of loan amount plus interest, so at end of first year only small capital repayment made.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    how much did you borrow
    what APR
    over how many months
    what is the settlement figure
    how many payment have you made before the settlement figure was made
  • Loan over 4 years. Made 32 monthly payments. Debt at the end of first year was greater than amount borrowed.

Just discussed with Barclays. They say that a settlement charge of £300 is applied to loan. pushing up settlement cost. This amount they make clear is part of the loan agreement.
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Don't pay any attention to 'settlement figures' on yearly statements, they take into account the total repayments to be made. This is why it looks like loans are front-loaded, but they're not, but I can see why people think they are. Phone them up and get a proper settlement figure. Chances are it will be fees and two months' interest.

EDIT: Just saw your last post there, that explains it.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure