AMAZON on BBC1 Undercover

Comments

• 8 miles is easily doable. My last job included sometimes operating an overhead crane and in a 12hr shift I would easily walk 15-20km .

It was also a "controlling" environment as you had to remove finished stock from the lines to the dispatch area so had to keep on top of it to prevent lines stopping.

Half hour dinner and 3 five minute smoke/tea breaks. Wasn't a bad job and I prefered doing that to the other jobs in the factory. Oh and I'm fat ;)
  • John1993_2
    John1993_2 Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    Untrue, no jib monitors every second of your shift. Most jobs will allow you to be a human being in between and give you some room to chat with colleagues. What amazon does is akin to sweatshops

Rubbish. A bus driver on his route does not get to stop off to chat. Checkout operators will be having their performance measured contiinuously, and so on.

This is yet another thread where people seem incredulous that a job comes with all sorts of requirements. If the views on here are really common nowadays then it's easy to see why there are so many unemployed; they simply don't understand what having a job means, and must be hooribly unprepared for workinng life.

It's as though the only experience of work some people have is watching what goes on in the cafe in Home and Away...
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    What amazon also do is randomly check employees for drugs and alcohol, now that is trying to control employees away from work. And also another reason I wouldn't want to work for them.
  • scooby088 wrote: »
    What amazon also do is randomly check employees for drugs and alcohol, now that is trying to control employees away from work. And also another reason I wouldn't want to work for them.

Happens at my current place of work. With the support of the unions. If you are drunk or high at work you are a danger to yourself and others especially in an manufacturing/warehouse environment.
  • scooby088
    Happens at my current place of work. With the support of the unions. If you are drunk or high at work you are a danger to yourself and others especially in an manufacturing/warehouse environment.

What about those on prescription medication that is controlled like morphine, tramadol, codeine fall into the classification of controlled drugs.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2013 at 4:40PM
    John1993 wrote: »
    Rubbish. A bus driver on his route does not get to stop off to chat. Checkout operators will be having their performance measured contiinuously, and so on.

This is yet another thread where people seem incredulous that a job comes with all sorts of requirements. If the views on here are really common nowadays then it's easy to see why there are so many unemployed; they simply don't understand what having a job means, and must be hooribly unprepared for workinng life.

It's as though the only experience of work some people have is watching what goes on in the cafe in Home and Away...

A busy driver does not walk 8 hours of the day and get severe blisters.

Nor does a checkout worker run around 8 miles a day.. BTW not 8 miles of straihgt up walking but bending over, pushing trolley etc.

I am a business owner and I've never had to work these jobs and even I am horrified.

Why are you nitpicking one aspect and comparing one aspect of the amazon picker to other jobs. It's a crap and inhumane job because of the whole package.
  • scooby088 wrote: »
    What about those on prescription medication that is controlled like morphine, tramadol, codeine fall into the classification of controlled drugs.

They check for illegal drugs.

If you are on medication which could affect your operation of machinery/impact your ability to do your job, then you would discuss it with your manager/OH and have appropriate adjustments made to the type of job you are assigned.
  • John1993 wrote: »

A lot of unemployed people are very well prepared for working life which includes being able to spell words like horribly and working for a start.
  • scooby088
    They check for illegal drugs.

If you are on medication which could affect your operation of machinery/impact your ability to do your job, then you would discuss it with your manager/OH and have appropriate adjustments made to the type of job you are assigned.

Yes but for arguments sake, morphine is derived from a form of cocaine/ heroin or vice versa. In my experience adjustments are never made, my OH was used to operate cleaning machinery whilst on morphine patches nothing was ever said by the management.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 November 2013 at 5:23PM
    AP007 wrote: »
    8 miles is not short is it?

how does it compare to a postie's route?

Edit: now seen post 29.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport