PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fruit and Veg to grow in pots, tubs, etc.

I'd like to start growing my own fruit and veg. Also herbs. The only trouble is that my garden is thick clay soil and hardly anything will grow.

Can anyone recommend fruit and veg that can be grow in tubs or pots?

Many thanks

Comments

• piratess
    piratess Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Hi Lucy id like to start growing my own also ... but we are in a small private rented house and only have a small back garden which already has a shed ... and not sure the landlord would like me to dig the grass out to grow things so also need advice on tubs or pots ... Great Thread !!!
    Hoping to be a thinner me in 2010!
  • freda
    freda Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Things that grow well in tubs:

potatoes (although you may be too late, but maybe not - go and look in the garden centres). You need 3-4 per foot square tub.

Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Courgettes (need a large tub for these, they grow big)
    Runner beans
    Lettuces and other salad leaf things
    Mint, thyme, parsley, rosemary, sage, chives etc

Also think about getting gro-bags, esp for toms and cucumbers, as they work bettre in them I think.

You need to keep pots religiously watered, remember. You can use water from your washing up, as well as bathwater to save water.

Tomatoes benefit from some tomato food every now and then.
  • piratess
    piratess Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    Thanks for that freda ... think im going to try and lettuce .. maybe some radishes and carrots ... they seem easy I am a total novice gardner and knw nothing about it i only do lawns LOL ...

do i just get normal compost ? and how long do these types take to grow? and because i dont have a green house do i just put them in the tub or do i need to do anything else ?? (so many Questions) lol

thanks again x
    Hoping to be a thinner me in 2010!
  • lucyc58
    lucyc58 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Thanks for the help, I'll look in the garden centres at the weekend. I have no problem with water, we have a water butt connected to our down pipe and with all the rain that we had here yesterday (1.5 inches in an hour!) it should be nice and full by now.
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Normal compost is fine ~ a large cheap bag would be fine :) just fill up the pots, plant the seeds, water them gently and watch them grow and in about 6 weeks or so you should have plenty of lettuce to eat. Just don't get over enthusiastic and plant masses or you might find you are overrun!

MIne are just planted out in pots in the sunshine ~ I don't have a greenhouse and they grow just fine.

Good luck :)
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • Along the same lines, I currently have a rhubarb plant that is going to be replaced by a shed. Not wanting to lose it (I enjoy rhubarb crumble too much!!) I wondered if it would survive in a pot? Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
    :j
  • oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • Many thanks oops a daisy, I will have a read.
    :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport