badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Posted on Budgeting & Bank forum - Halifax Reward dropping to £3

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71438045#post71438045
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Defensive assets? Such as oil majors that are borrowing to fund dividends. I'm surprised that someone of your stature is playing the game. I still laugh at those who believed LastMinute.com to be a sound investment and couldn't see the wood for the trees.
    No, I wouldn't lump oil majors in with defensive, even though they have historically had good dividend payouts. Groups in the energy sector such as oilers can behave quite differently to what I think of as "defensive"and they have had a tough time with the oil price, one of the sector s that's suffered along with other types of miners (materials groups) suffering from the cyclicality of demand and changing far eastern growth prospects. I also wouldn't have dived into lastminute dotcom as a defensive either...

However my point was, if you look at consumer defensives, particularly in the US, you can see investors have really supported the share price of those companies as part of their desperate search for yield.

Example, Procter & Gamble, share price up 19% in last year on top of a 3% yield: PE is now over 25. In tobacco, Altria and Phillip Morris Intl are up 10-15% in same timescale paying 4% div on top, with PEs around 22. These are earnings multiples you don't see in defensive stocks when interest rates and bond yields are more "normal". And those returns are in USD, I'm not including the huge FX boost to GBP because you wouldn't have got that as a Frenchman or a German or an American.

I have First State Global Listed Infrastructure - and have been periodically selling it down for last couple of years after "a good run" but it keeps going up! 32% YTD (some of that's a good FX boost as its holdings are only 7% UK). But 57% in 3 years, 94% in 5 years. Not bad for boring holdings of water, electric, toll roads and railways, airports, ports etc. And it's not a massively clever fund, not a huge outperformance of the global infrastructure indices really.

But people like putting their money in companies that have the means to pay an income. And some of these people would not be in equities at all of they could get income from bonds or cash. So a lot of people are over-risked due to not perceiving there to be an alternative option.

My comment was only a lighthearted tongue-in-cheek one really. Basically I'm happy to *already* have some of these investments that people are now prizing, rather than be in cash thinking "damn, lloyds aren't paying 4% any more, what are those S&S things all about, I hear you can get good returns according to this 5-year chart, don't know much about it bit where do I sign..."

There will be some tears in the end.
  • Scarpacci
    Scarpacci Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    No, I wouldn't lump oil majors in with defensive, even though they have historically had good dividend payouts. Groups in the energy sector such as oilers can behave quite differently to what I think of as "defensive"and they have had a tough time with the oil price, one of the sector s that's suffered along with other types of miners (materials groups) suffering from the cyclicality of demand and changing far eastern growth prospects. I also wouldn't have dived into lastminute dotcom as a defensive either...

However my point was, if you look at consumer defensives, particularly in the US, you can see investors have really supported the share price of those companies as part of their desperate search for yield.

Example, Procter & Gamble, share price up 19% in last year on top of a 3% yield: PE is now over 25. In tobacco, Altria and Phillip Morris Intl are up 10-15% in same timescale paying 4% div on top, with PEs around 22. These are earnings multiples you don't see in defensive stocks when interest rates and bond yields are more "normal". And those returns are in USD, I'm not including the huge FX boost to GBP because you wouldn't have got that as a Frenchman or a German or an American.
    The fascinating part of the high valuation on U.S. defensive stocks like P&G is that the U.S. rates are seemingly, albeit slowly, normalising. U.S. interest rates are likely to go up in December. The dollar is strong and could be getting stronger (by which I mean against many other currencies, not specifically the pound).

There was a period of time last year where those two thoughts sent down the stock prices of P&G, Johnson & Johnson, et. al. down. Now they head up in spite of it.
    This is everybody's fault but mine.
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Whaaat!! Bad news for savers! On another note, what are the rates people are getting for 1 year P2P leading rates? I am only getting around 3% which isn't great for the higher risk taken either.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • If you keep less than £2k in the account it's a rate boost.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not long ago there was a lot of bemoaning of interest rates when, with a little effort, a rate well above inflation could be had.

Bad news for savers now is that as rates fall, inflation is expected to start heading north - BoE today saying inflation of 2-3% is expected with no prospect of a rise in the base rate. I think that's called a double whammy.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2016 at 10:45PM
    bowlhead99 wrote: »

Interestingly 20% of all purchases of US major shares in 2015 were Company buybacks. Many financed by debt. As US Corporations keep the cash off shore to avoid the penal 35% tax rate. The water is far more muddy than it may appear. Tesco's illustrated how even a straight forward business resorted to financial engineering to massage it's accounts. Can only be one of many globally. Like you I've seen enough in my lifetime to take a cynical view of the business world. The music is reaching a crescendo. With far too much optimism. A sure sign that the bull market has only one way to go.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    TSB also now;and only on £1500.

What happens about the LLoyds fee, if you just withdraw all cash, and stop DD's? and leave A/c open??

Fresh blow to savers as banks slash interest rates: Lloyds, TSB and Halifax unveil plans to cut figure on popular current accounts
    UK's high street giants unveiled plans to cut headline rates on accounts
    Lloyds said it will cut 4pc top rate on popular Club Lloyds account to 2pc
    And TSB said it would reduce interest to 3 pc from the start of next year
    By RUTH LYTH
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    joe134 wrote: »
    TSB also now;and only on £1500.

Fresh blow to savers as banks slash interest rates: Lloyds, TSB and Halifax unveil plans to cut figure on popular current accounts
    UK's high street giants unveiled plans to cut headline rates on accounts
    Lloyds said it will cut 4pc top rate on popular Club Lloyds account to 2pc
    And TSB said it would reduce interest to 3 pc from the start of next year
    By RUTH LYTH

Link for Joe134's DM quote.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3833518/Fresh-blow-savers-banks-slash-rates-Lloyds-TSB-Halifax-unveil-plans-cut-figure-popular-current-accounts.html
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Club Lloyds fee will be £3 per month if you do not have 2 DDs or pay in £1500.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure