Bad Diesel from Sainsbury In Van How to prove it ?

A Sainsbury petrol station we believe has sold us Bad Diesel,
But we need to prove as the Official line is it never made to the Pumps.

We having Black smoke on start up and Exhaust is covered.

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/diesel-problems-for-isle-of-wight-drivers-96493.aspx
Aaron Dowden, petrol station manager at Sainsbury's Newport, said: "It was discovered by the supplier that the flash point of the diesel was too low and the fuel was not delivered.

Which would cause the issues we are having.

Any advice

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you contacted anyone from Sainsburys?

The only way to prove that you have "bad diesel" is to get a sample and have it examined.
  • davidious
    davidious Posts: 125 Forumite
    Spoke to the Station Manager he sticking to the story that it never made it to the Pumps. though a staff member gave something away before hand that it was sludge at the bottom of the empty tanks.

Sainsbury care line wants us to prove it.

Getting a Sample is no problem it is where we go to get it examined.
  • davidious wrote: »
    We having Black smoke on start up and Exhaust is covered.
    How soon after filling up did the problem start?
  • davidious
    edited 17 October 2016 at 2:08PM
    Drove the Van home Nightime etc
    The next day we noticed it when we took the Van out.

Recently had a nice new stainless exhaust fitted and was working wonderfully before hand. Exhaust is now covered.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If the flash point was too low then it must have been contaminated with petrol. The only thing you can do is to have a sample taken and have it tested, this you will have to pay for and it must be a controlled sample as anyone can add petrol either to your tank or to the sample. If there are no other reports of contaminated fuel from where you filled up then it's very unlikely that Sainsburys will admit liability.

Black smoke is usually caused by unburnt fuel and can be caused by faulty injectors, blocked air filter, faulty injection pump, turbo failure or intercooler inlet pipe split, could any of these have been to blame ?
  • davidious
    edited 17 October 2016 at 2:18PM
    nickcc wrote: »
    If the flash point was too low then it must have been contaminated with petrol. The only thing you can do is to have a sample taken and have it tested, this you will have to pay for and it must be a controlled sample as anyone can add petrol either to your tank or to the sample. If there are no other reports of contaminated fuel from where you filled up then it's very unlikely that Sainsburys will admit liability.

Black smoke is usually caused by unburnt fuel and can be caused by faulty injectors, blocked air filter, faulty injection pump, turbo failure or intercooler inlet pipe split, could any of these have been to blame ?

No Turbo 2.4L

Injectors have been replaced recently so has the Injection Pump including Air Filter etc with New Volkswagen Parts and the Van was working like dream recently.
    Only since we filled up we have had problems.

How would I get a Controlled sample ?
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    davidious wrote: »
    No Turbo 2.4L

Injectors have been replaced recently so has the Injection Pump including Air Filter etc with New Volkswagen Parts and the Van was working like dream recently.
    Only since we filled up we have had problems.

How would I get a Controlled sample ?
    Have a word with trading standards/citizens advice and they should know of a local lab that can carry out a flash test and density test of the fuel. All oil company distribution terminals have the test equipment but they are unlikely to carry out the test for you.
  • mvteng
    mvteng Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I had an issue with bad fuel from Shell.

Trading Standards showed no interest whatsoever.

Shell eventually passed the matter to their insurance company.

You need to be pro-active.

I eventually had my sample analysed by my local University (who happened to have a petroleum oil department). they produced a report that confirmed the contaminated petrol, & once this was passed to Shells insurers, they paid my garage costs.

Hope this helps
  • davidious
    Garage is testing it on Wednesday.

Looks like I am in for a battle.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    davidious wrote: »
    Garage is testing it on Wednesday.

Looks like I am in for a battle.

What are they testing?

If its from your tank, how do you prove you didnt contaminate it.

If its from anywhere else , hasnt it been too long

just asking
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family