Electricity Supply Dispute

Hi all,

A long and protracted problem which I am hoping you can assist me with, please.

Two properties next door to each other - property A and property B. I lived in A and my mother lived in B. Both were supplied by EDF.

When my Mother died in Christmas 2012, I moved out from A and into B. A tenant moved into A and I continued with EDF supplying B. it then transpires that the tenant changed the supply from EDF to another supplier who for the moment will remain nameless. It has now emerged that instead of the new power company taking over the meter for house A, they have in fact taken over supply for house B but they think they are supplying House A – if that makes sense.

The tenant who was in the property at that time left owing me thousands of pounds in arrears and I am now wondering whether this was done deliberately – the meter for A is inside the house whereas the meter for B is in the garden.

I have spoken to EDF last night and explained the problem and they are going to speak to this other supplier stating that it is an erroneous transfer and that the account needs to be transferred back to EDF. The main issue that is concerning me now is that this other supplier has now applied for a warrant to enter the premises to obtain the meter serial number.

I do accept that it is likely that I will have to pay back EDF four years worth of electricity but I would far sooner do this than pay a penny to this other firm who, to be frank, are just a shower.

Advice would be most welcomed on how to proceed as time is not on my side now.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I would suggest you get this thread moved to either the Energy board or the Housing board for a better response.
  • LUSK
    LUSK Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wealdroam wrote: »
    I would suggest you get this thread moved to either the Energy board or the Housing board for a better response.

how do i move it?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Was the tenant responsible for paying their own gas/electric?

What happened to your own billing/payments during that time? Did you continue to make payments to EDF?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • LUSK
    Was the tenant responsible for paying their own gas/electric?

What happened to your own billing/payments during that time? Did you continue to make payments to EDF?

Yes, the tenant was responsible.

Very wrongly, I presumed that I was still paying EDF via DD and they came to read the meter the same way they did when I was living in property A.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    LUSK wrote: »
    Yes, the tenant was responsible.

Very wrongly, I presumed that I was still paying EDF via DD and they came to read the meter the same way they did when I was living in property A.

Saying you presumed you were still paying by DD implies that you actually weren't paying. Is this the case? Have the utility companies been paid at all for both properties?
  • LUSK
    LilElvis wrote: »

Saying you presumed you were still paying by DD implies that you actually weren't paying. Is this the case? Have the utility companies been paid at all for both properties?

Yes, having reviewed bank statements, I can confirm that I have not been paying anything towards property B. As far as I am aware, property A has been paid for but the tenant in question at that time is going through bankruptcy.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    LUSK wrote: »
    how do i move it?
    You can't, but a board guide can.
    You can, however, re-post the thread on one of the two suggested forums.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure