My ex stole my identity for a credit card!

Hello,

I recently broke up with my ex-boyfriend and a few days later, found out that a couple of months ago, he had stolen my identity to get a Capital One credit card. He spent a lot of time at my house, and had the card sent to my address so I was completely unaware that it existed. Capital One called me last week, (unbelievably, he had given my landline number!) saying I was late with payments and told me roughly what the money had been spent on - almost all of it was spent in his favourite pub, some in a local Indian takeaway, and some on flights - all in the space of a week around the middle of October. I quickly realised that my ex had done this - as it was the same week he had supposedly bought flights to take me away for my Birthday at Christmas (he said he was paying for them, and at that time I had no reason to doubt him!). When I spoke to the fraud department at Capital One, they couldn't give me any more information on what had been spent, as once they knew I was a victim of credit card fraud, they wanted to protect HIS identity!

After checking my credit file, I noticed that when doing the quotation search (which made a footprint), he had given the wrong year for my date of birth (it was a year out)- but he gave the correct one for the actual credit card application. My ex has also apologised for all this via email too (there are lots and lots of emails, as he still wants me to take him back!) and he apparently deeply regrets this 'moment of stupidity' (I don't know how he could refer to months of lies, stealing my identity and my post, and a fun week in his local, etc as a 'moment of stupidity', but there we go).

When realising what he had done, I told Capital One everything I knew, and also reported it to Action Fraud and my local police department too. At first I felt confident that he could be caught, thinking he would have to pay everything back and this would all be removed from my credit card file so I could put it behind me. I am guessing he had bought the flights in his name, most likely linked to his email address? And he had also linked this card to an email address too - so I thought they could easily trace him. And as I have received so many emails where he apologises for what he has done, I thought all this would be enough to catch him! But today, I received a letter from Capital One saying that they couldn't accept my claim of fraud, and I am liable so will have to pay the money back (and the interest will carry on going up until the balance is zero). I'm still awaiting a call back from the local police to see if they can help, but after receiving Capital One's response, not sure they can! Surely this can't happen can it? Why am I liable? Surely if they just look into it, they could see that he has done this?

Not to do the sob story, but I'm a single mum and have worked extremely hard for years, on a very low income. I have always had an OK credit rating, and have even managed to get a own mortgage on my little house. I was hoping to remortgage soon so that I could fix my roof. I won't be able to until this is sorted, as my credit rating now looks awful - all just for a £200 card I didn't know about, with ridiculously high interest. I could possibly scrape together some money over the next few months, and eventually pay it off - and just deal with having a bad credit rating for 6 years, but this is just so wrong! I'd just rather he was caught and made to pay up! And hopefully this would stop him from doing this to anyone else!

Please could someone offer me advice? He has a deep hatred for the police (I know that he's been in trouble with them before), so I don't know if he'd admit what he's done to them - but I think he would admit this to Capital One if the opportunity came up. I'm not sure how to make this happen though. I'd rather not continue any contact with him but will do if it'll get him to confess.

Please help!

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

Well you've done the right thing reporting it to action fraud, can't understand why capital one won't accept it ?

With it being in your name, unfortunately in law, you are liable.

What did action fraud advise you to do ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Action Fraud just gave me a crime reference number and said they would make a record of it, and Capital One would be the ones to tell me the outcome.

I'm hoping the police will be more help. I don't want him to get away with this, it's not right.
  • Has he at any stage confessed to his actions via email? If you have something in writing, that might prove helpful.

I wish you luck in getting this sorted, and like Sourcrates said, I'm not sure why Cap One won't accept it!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    What about the signatures on the application form? Can you not show it's not yours?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Hi,

He has sent me lots of sickening emails in response to my emails mentioning the credit card fraud/stealing my identity etc. They say that he is sorry and acknowledges it was stupid. I've forwarded these onto the police as evidence.
  • The one thing that Capital One could tell me - was that he applied online, so I'm not sure that he signed anything? Maybe he did though, I'm not sure?
  • sourcrates
    Ali-G- wrote: »
    The one thing that Capital One could tell me - was that he applied online, so I'm not sure that he signed anything? Maybe he did though, I'm not sure?

It would be an electronic signature (usually a tick box).

It's all to easy to do with only a few snippets of information required.

If you know someone's DOB, name, address, it's a doddle.

The tricky bit is taking possession of the card, easy for your ex as he had access to your house.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates
    Maybe give National Debtline a ring and ask there advice.

They are pretty good with most money issues.
  • Thank you, I will call the National Debtline tomorrow.

I'm not sure he would do this because he is so unpredictable and a complete lying scumbag! - but if my ex called up Capital One to confess, would it help? He's made it clear that he's sorry and wants to get back together. There is literally no chance of this happening after what he's done! And he knows this. But he may call up if I ask him to. Does anyone think this would be worth a try? I think if anything, he's more likely to do this before he realises that I've involved the police.
  • I'm not an expert, but can you not log an official complaint with Capital One and then if the outcome of that doesn't go in your favour, escalate to the Ombudsman (if there is one for this situation).

Surely with your proof and the fact you are no longer with him or living with him, they should see you are not responsible for this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure