Student accommodation: which of these saves you the most money?

Former_MSE_Andrea
Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614
Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
Forumite
edited 16 August 2021 at 11:07AM in Student MoneySaving
img-full-laptops.jpg

Students (new and old!)

Whether you're a fresher starting university this year or a seasoned student well into your course, finding accommodation that's both suitable AND cost effective can be difficult.

So we thought we'd ask which of the many accommodation options you feel saves you the most money?

• Halls of residence
  • Private student halls
  • Student house / flat found through your university
  • Student house / flat rented privately
  • House / flat owned by your parents
  • Sharing with non-students
  • Renting a room in a landlord's home
  • Stay at home with parents

Other useful MSE Student Reading :beer:
Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Student accommodation: which of these saves you the most money? 92 votes

Halls of residence
9%
lesleystrawsonesuhlLokolopeachypricedaaavebolistonThe_Jakalseekingthesunlightkingjohn 9 votes
Private student halls
0%
Student house / flat found through your university
4%
AmyTheThriftyStudentkingjohnendexpjohndewinton0604 4 votes
Student house / flat rented privately
18%
AmyTheThriftyStudentdawyldthingpjreadYounganddumbKeepOnKnittingellielwsmegsxoUnknownThe_JakelErasmusOzzyJeremy345ThePurpleFoxwgt24PaidPointsMoonChild91John_Howarth21PingPong1801 17 votes
House / flat specifically bought for you by your parents
5%
alanobrienAmyTheThriftyStudentKim_kimNoahJonesUnknown 5 votes
Sharing with non-students
0%
Renting a room in a landlord's home
3%
JLS1901AmyTheThriftyStudentsally_dickson 3 votes
Stay at home with parents
58%
oramgepekoeFormer_MSE_AndreaalanobriensilvercarDesperado99choccyface2006dipsyElliesmumkippersMarvel1dimbo61nimboEnergizeblackshirtuknokia1100daaaveAmyTheThriftyStudentMrs_Arcanumspadooshska_lover 54 votes

Comments

• Stay at home with parents
    Stay home with parents is the best option when university is located in the same city! But when university is located in another city then flat found through the university is best!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,712
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Normally I would say staying at home with parents but the costs of living and travel in London may actually make moving to a big Northern city worthwhile.
    Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Birmingham, etc
    Food, travel, accommodation, entertainment and everyday essentials cost so much more in London that moving up north to study and find a career may pay
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Halls of residence
    I studied in london and paid nothing for travel as i cycled and walked everywhere - i fact i remember the huge amount of totally free entertainment (museums, conerts etc) on offer and dont remember spending a fortune on food either. I was in quite basic student halls without ensuite etc and very small room (room for bed and desk only) but when you are a student you dont worry about luxuries.
  • Student house / flat rented privately
    I don't know how anyone can say halls of residence. They are extortionate compared to a houseshare.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Halls of residence
    I don't know how anyone can say halls of residence. They are extortionate compared to a houseshare.

Halls are often in a far better central location - a lot of house shares are in suburban areas.
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2016 at 9:52PM
    Obviously living with parents is cheaper - especially if you pay nothing to them! (Or very little.)

But most people don't have that choice as the uni is often too far away. And even if the uni is only 20-30 miles away; when you factor in paying your parents board and lodgings, and having to travel to the uni most days, it may not work out much better.

Plus, you can't have the full uni experience if you're home with your folks. 'Coming to the party tonight Lily???' 'Errr no, I need to get the 5 o clock train home...' Wow. Great uni life eh?

BTW, I wouldn't say halls are extortionate compared to house share. My daughter paid £85 a week for halls, and that included all bills (electric, gas, and water rates...) It didn't include internet (though that was only £55 for the year.) And it never included food.

Her house share was £100 a week, and that included electric and gas and water rates too, and they didn't pay council tax because they were students.

So halls and house share were much of a muchness.
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Lily-Rose wrote: »
    Obviously living with parents is cheaper - especially if you pay nothing to them! (Or very little.)

But most people don't have that choice as the uni is often too far away. And even if the uni is only 20-30 miles away; when you factor in paying your parents board and lodgings, and having to travel to the uni most days, it may not work out much better.

Plus, you can't have the full uni experience if you're home with your folks. 'Coming to the party tonight Lily???' 'Errr no, I need to get the 5 o clock train home...' Wow. Great uni life eh?

BTW, I wouldn't say halls are extortionate compared to house share. My daughter paid £85 a week for halls, and that included all bills (electric, gas, and water rates...) It didn't include internet (though that was only £55 for the year.) And it never included food.

Her house share was £100 a week, and that included electric and gas and water rates too, and they didn't pay council tax because they were students.

So halls and house share were much of a muchness.

It depends, when I was at college in 2000, it was £48 a week for halls, but £45-£60 a week for private let, only thing we didn't get (bar internet but no one had it then) was we paid for own washing at £2.50 a time

The property I had in 1999 was £45 a week for private house but that only was part inclusive of bills i.e if the bill went over the agreed amount we paid.

When I was at uni in 2007 the campus I stayed at was £65 a week for halls, private lets were £45 for tiny rooms not inclusive, £65 average inclusive (but better than many peoples actual homes!) Main campus was £120 a week but fully catered (3 meals a day 7 days a week and included very fast internet)

Last time the halls I went to in 2000 were open they were £90 a week and they closed saying they never got custom, well thats because for one the uni campus moved 3/4 of a mile away but also private lets were £50-£65 a week average without bills and £60-£70 inclusive of everything!

But in general halls are more expensive, in Glasgow its around £120 a week for private halls, and £90-£100 a week for a west end houseshare all inclusive but in beautiful buildings.

The uni has a few halls around £70-£90 a week but tiny rooms.
  • Well, when I was a student I used to both rent and stay with my parents. Actually, for a year I used to combine these two, cause I wanted to save money for a trip. WIthout a doubt, when you are living alone you sort of gain freedom, you depend on no one etc. but you have to count on yourself only. You cannot live alone and ask your parents for money, cause this makes no sense. Whilst living with your parents means that you are 'obliged' to abide their rules and stuff, but at the same time you can save up for a new laptop, summer vacations etc. So it fully depends on you nad what you want.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When I was at Uni, the catered halls were actually the cheapest option overall.

Although, they were very old towerblock buildings.

In catered, you had to move out for a month at Christmas. Month at Easter and then the summer as well - this is why they actually were cheaper overall
  • tower
    tower Posts: 264
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Normally you have to rent for 52 weeks, in halls it's between 30-42 weeks...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure