Which balance does Amex report for their Charge cards???

Options
Hello everyone!

I was recently accepted for and Amex gold charge card and I am waiting for it to come in the post. My question is which balance does Amex report for their charge cards? Do they report the statement balance or the balance of the last day of the month? I have two credit cards at the moment and I have been following their reporting patterns on my credit file on experian and equifax. I noticed that my barclaycard reports the amount that I have as a balance on the day that the statement is being produced and my lloyds credit card reports only the balance that you have the last day of its month. So after identifying that pattern I have been intentionally leaving £0 balance on those two cards on those specific days in order to report £0 balance and 0% utilisation.

So what is the case with Amex charge cards? What balance do they report? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Finally somebody else who knows that 'balance' and 'previous balance' are not the same and that the 'balance' reported is the balance on the day the credit card issuer reports.
    I actually do the same as you sometimes, not though to create a 0 balance but to avoid a double months worth of purchases being reported as the balance, which is what happens if I just leave the direct debit to go through.
    On the subject of Amex chargecards, I'm very sorry but I don't know as I gave mine up some years ago but considering the short period between the statement date and the direct debit being taken, I would imagine that the previous months spend would be paid by the reporting date.
    Just an observation, but how do you always manage to get a 0 balance? Either you must be paying before the statement date or not spending at all until after the reporting date. I don't really think you need to go that far; it does no harm for there to be some balance showing representing what you have spend during the current month.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Finally somebody else who knows that 'balance' and 'previous balance' are not the same and that the 'balance' reported is the balance on the day the credit card issuer reports.
    I actually do the same as you sometimes, not though to create a 0 balance but to avoid a double months worth of purchases being reported as the balance, which is what happens if I just leave the direct debit to go through.
    On the subject of Amex chargecards, I'm very sorry but I don't know as I gave mine up some years ago but considering the short period between the statement date and the direct debit being taken, I would imagine that the previous months spend would be paid by the reporting date.
    Just an observation, but how do you always manage to get a 0 balance? Either you must be paying before the statement date or not spending at all until after the reporting date. I don't really think you need to go that far; it does no harm for there to be some balance showing representing what you have spend during the current month.

Yes! that's exactly what I am doing! I am paying always before the statement is being produced for my barclaycard and always one day before the last day of the month for the lloyds credit card and as a result £0 balance is being reported for both cards! I don't mind doing that, as I am paying always in full. I am using both cards every month for £300-£400 each. But always paying them before the reporting date.

I am doing that because I want to apply for my first mortgage next year and at the time of application I want to make sure that a specific pattern of £0 balances has been reported in order to get the maximum amount I can possibly get. And also... although the credit score doesn't matter.....by doing that my credit score has been increased in to the excellent zone. But I know that credit history and your payments matter the most.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 March 2017 at 2:11PM
    Options
    How does that work with CallCredit who report Status, Balance, Limit, Statement Balance and Payments ? I wonder if what is reported is different to what is shown by the different CRAs, some not showing all the figures. Equifax only report statement balance and limit in the history but report current balance and payments for the current month.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is having a zero balance all the time for reporting good though? Surely could be seen as a negative for future CC applications as someone who spends and clears the balance so could be an unprofitable customer. Paying afterwards, e.g. letting the DD happen, could still mean no interest charged but a balance reported.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 26 March 2017 at 8:31AM
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    How does that work with CallCredit who report Status, Balance, Limit, Statement Balance and Payments ? I wonder if what is reported is different to what is shown by the different CRAs, some not showing all the figures. Equifax only report statement balance and limit in the history but report current balance and payments for the current month.

It would appear so. The credit report that I monitor regularly and to which I have unlimited access to the full report through my packaged bank account is Experian.
    It shows for each statement period:
    Status
    Balance
    Payment
    Previous Balance
    (Cash withdrawal info and 'markers' appear below)
    The previous balance is the statement balance . The payment is the amount paid in respect of the statement issued for the amount of the previous balance. The balance, at the top, is the actual balance of the account on the reporting date and is 2 months out from the other 2 figures.
    For example, if an entry read
    balance 3421
    payment amount 2100
    previous balance 2100
    and referred to the January statement, 2100 would be the statement balance and amount paid in respect of the statement issued 11th Jan the balance figure would be the balance at the reporting date in March, which appears to be a couple of days before the payment due date.
    The illustrative figures in this example show the sort of balances being reported for a monthly credit card spend of approximately 2K representing almost 2 months spend. It is this balance figure, not the statement balance figures, which appears as my 'balance' and is used to calculate the utilisation ratio.
    IF I am not happy to have this level of balance being reported, by paying a few days before the payment due date instead of leaving the direct debit to go through, I can substantially reduce the 'balance' reported simply by paying the already issued statement a bit early and forgoing a weeks interest on the money.

nic_c wrote: »
    Is having a zero balance all the time for reporting good though? Surely could be seen as a negative for future CC applications as someone who spends and clears the balance so could be an unprofitable customer. Paying afterwards, e.g. letting the DD happen, could still mean no interest charged but a balance reported.

I think you have slightly misunderstood - see illustrative example above.
    I don't quite agree with your reasoning in that a person who avails themselves of 5 days interest free credit is less profitable than someone who avails themselves of 56 days interest free credit.
    I don't agree with the OP habitually repaying before the statement has been issued as I think doing so to have a 0 reported balance is unnecessary in that it looks very odd that somebody who uses a credit card regularly always has a 0 balance. Remember the 'ideal' utilisation ratio is apparently 10% not 0%..
    As the stated purpose is for a mortgage application, and if the OP wishes a credit report with a 0 balance at the time of the mortgage application, it is only necessary to do this once in the period prior to the actual mortgage application and not use the card again. The payment history shown in the credit report will clearly indicate that the card has always been repaid in full; the mortgage lender will be interested only in current, not historical, balances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure