With drawing cash abroad

Options
Hi

Sorry I wasn't sure where to post this. I have a Santander Gold Visa debit card. I can get fee-free withdrawals from Santander branded cash machines abroad when I use the local currency option and have a withdrawal limit of 750 a day. Would this be the best way for me to get my Euros, and pay for everything using Euros.

What sort of rate will I get for the Euros or would I be better of purchasing here before I go?

Thank you

Comments

• SalarySlave
    Options
    This will likely work out the cheapest way as you will get a mid market rate set by Visa. Make sure you choose Euro's at the ATM
  • DavidT67
    DavidT67 Posts: 389 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked where the Santander ATMs are in the country you're going to?
    If they have none then this isn't an option...

"Argentina Brazil Chile Germany Mexico Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Spain UK Uruguay"
    https://selectglobalvalue.santander.com/EN/en_EN/pg/branch-locator.html
    They do charge in Poland...

Read the small print in this section of FAQs
    "What are the fees and charges on my Gold Visa debit card when I use it abroad?"
    http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/select/help-support
    They will use the prevailing Visa network exchange rate.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The advantage of withdrawing money locally, rather than buying it all before you go, is that you are not carrying lots of cash at any given moment. Take enough cash for a few days, then withdraw more locally, and withdraw more again if needs be - that way, if someone does manage to nick it, they don't get all of your holiday spending money.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure