MyHermes charging fee for wrong parcel size

Options
In the past two weeks MyHermes have sent me two invoices for £4.20 each as they say my parcels were over their width limit for small parcels.

The first one was within the limit but they say it was 2cm over in width (I dispute this).

The second one is totally made up as it was one pack of small nappies, and they are saying it is:

Length: 47.9cm Width: 44.5cm
Depth: 3.4cm

Which is definitely not true.

I have not paid either of the invoices and last week I added a message of the support ticket disputing it - they have not replied.

What should I do now.. they have ignored my message, and chat was useless.

What will happen if I just ignore the invoices?

Has anyone successfully disputed these size errors they are making?
I Hate Jobsworths!!!

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They do send invoices, some are correct some not. I've disputed invoices with them on Twitter via DM by adding a photo of the item, packaged with a tape measure next to it. Obviously you can't do that if the item was a "one off sale".

Not really much else you can do but continue to dispute it and fail to pay the invoice. Nothing has happened on invoices that I have disputed (with or without evidence).
  • rabbitmoon
    rabbitmoon Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the exact same thing happen this week, and the first time with Hermes after sending 30 parcels before. I just came to start a thread when I saw yours.

I dropped off 6 thin paperback books, in a jiffy, which when all packaged up weighed just under 2kg (1.990 to be exact). I weighed it three times just to be sure - and my digital scales are correct as they always agree with the post office scales.

I then received an email later that evening at 2030 from Hermes saying their "government approved scales" weighed the item at 2.5kg, then an invoice for £6.20. This is the difference (from 2.99 to 5.99 for >2kg) but a fee for their "audit costs". There is absolutely NO WAY that the package suddenly increased 500gms in weight, absolutely no way.

I tried calling - obviously that goes nowhere as its all automated. I explained in an online chat that it simply wasn't true - was told I had to pay it and sorry for any inconvenience caused. I replied to the query on the message page with my explanation, and was told by someone else that their scales are correct and that it had to be paid.

I'm 100% certain that they're lying - they've clearly initiated a tactic of trying to squeeze more money from customers to boost their profits. Its impossible to contest as they have your package now, and trying to actually discuss anything with them is impossible.

I won't be using Hermes again - I just can't trust them after this, and the lack of care in communicating with customers makes me realise just how powerless you are if they lie, if something goes wrong, or if they lost/damaged your parcel.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    rabbitmoon wrote: »

I won't be using Hermes again - I just can't trust them after this, and the lack of care in communicating with customers makes me realise just how powerless you are if they lie, if something goes wrong, or if they lost/damaged your parcel.

A slight overreaction for an issue with 1 parcel.

If something goes missing or is damaged you claim. If they issue an invoice for under-declaration of parcel weight/size, you either pay it or dispute it.
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the replies.

I have sent nearly 500 parcels with them over the last few years and these are my first problems.

I'm not aware of any alternatives to Hermes that are similar in prices.. are there?
    I do have to carry on using them (unless an alternative arises) but from now on I will photograph my parcels with a tape measure on them.

I think I'm going to just ignore the invoices - Can their invoices be taken any further by them I wonder?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    As long as you have disputed it and you can show that you have, then I would just ignore it. I have done that in the past.

As far as moving forward with another carrier - have you tried a RM account and using 2D delivery confirmation?
  • fuzzgun19
    Options
    As long as you have disputed it and you can show that you have, then I would just ignore it. I have done that in the past.

As far as moving forward with another carrier - have you tried a RM account and using 2D delivery confirmation?
    Thank you, I have added my request to dispute onto the support ticket as I did with the other one.
    I will look in to the RM account thing.
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    I've had two in the past few months and they were both for items sent in a mailing bag smaller than the measurements quoted. I emailed them and they did not reply. They sent a reminder which I ignored and after that I never heard from them again.
  • fuzzgun19
    Options
    Received two of these emails this morning.
    Thank you for contacting myHermes.
    We understand that you are disputing the measured dimensions of the parcel when it has been checked whilst in our network.
    Please be advised that individual parcel size is calculated using a laser measuring instrument which removes the element of doubt if a parcel was to be measured manually by a member of staff.
    As your parcel exceeds our maximum dimensions, the invoiced amount will remain outstanding on your account. We ask to you follow the instructions on the PayPal invoice to make payment.
    Kind regards,
    Sarah 2771
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I am trialling the click and drop now. and have sent out one large letter as a trial. i have tried clicking on the unique code. but it says this item isn't tracked. so how/where do i find the delivery details???

have had another 3 scammers today saying they want a refund as they haven't had their parcels... but i managed to foil 1 of them and they closed the dispute straight away...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    Options
    I am trialling the click and drop now. and have sent out one large letter as a trial. i have tried clicking on the unique code. but it says this item isn't tracked. so how/where do i find the delivery details???

have had another 3 scammers today saying they want a refund as they haven't had their parcels... but i managed to foil 1 of them and they closed the dispute straight away...

You only get delivery confirmation not tracking. You have to wait until its been delivered to find out if it has been delivered. Polish that crystal ball.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure