Carrington Carr Miss-sold Mortgage

Options

Comments

• Honey74
    Options
    I received a phone call from a company called CCS Review and they stated that I could get back over £28k! Not sure how real they are, have looked at their website, and as much as I would love to get back £28k I have to pay them up-front which I am always reluctant to do

Question is has anyone had any dealings with them and if so were they a success or not.

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look up advance fee fraud. However, basic summary is

1 - play to you greed with made up large figure of money
    2 - give you some made up story that sounds reasonably feasible but is complete BS.
    3 - After you have let go of your senses and let greed rule your head, they hit you with an up front fee. Most greedy people will pay it. Those that have common sense will not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • eboy1975
    Options
    Mac Fin Consulting's website states:

'Unlike many claims management companies and solicitors we do not charge an up-front review fee.
    We believe up-front fees may discourage those with limited means who may have strong cases.
    In our opinion many of the up-front fees are simply a disguised overhead or profit for
    claims management companies and solicitors.'

Seems no advance fee fraud is going on there.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    eboy1975 wrote: »
    Mac Fin Consulting's website states:

'Unlike many claims management companies and solicitors we do not charge an up-front review fee.
    We believe up-front fees may discourage those with limited means who may have strong cases.
    In our opinion many of the up-front fees are simply a disguised overhead or profit for
    claims management companies and solicitors.'

Seems no advance fee fraud is going on there.

What has Mac Fin Consulting got to do with CCS review? - comments about advance fee fraud were in relation to later posts in 2013.

Why bring up a 2 year old thread to post something irrelevant?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • connor08
    Options
    slynn wrote: »
    Hi all

Im hoping someone can give me some advice on the below!

I recieved a letter yesterday off the solicitor who completed all the legalities when we remortgaged, saying that they have been alerted that some of their clients may have been miss sold their mortgage by Carrington Carr. (we took ours out via them in nov 2009.)

It bullet points a number of ways in which we may have been miss sold - the main that apply to us are
    • the mortgage wasnt suitable based on our circumstances - we were on a tracker repayment mortgage and were advised to change to a fixed rate, interest only mortagage - looking back i realise this was ridiculous, but at the time the advisor did the hard sell on us, and was insistent that as a re-election was due, interest rates would rocket and this was the option to go with!!)
    • you were advised to debt consolidate - yes we were told we should add £7.5k of loan/credit card charges to the mortgage
    • fees paid to broker were added to the mortgage - yes - we were told about an arrangement fee £995 that was to be added on, however, once the advisor brought all the documents to us to sign, an additonal £2392 had been added to the mortgage for broker fees! At the time i felt so pressured to sign as he was so insistent (he even said we had to meet on a carpark to sign as he said we were going to miss the 'deal' if we didnt get it all signed off that night!). This has made me so angry when i think about it ever since, it was never explained there would be a fee for this amount, let alone adding it onto the mortgage where interest would be added on over the years. Looking back at all the paperwork now, Carrington Carr also got a payment from alliance and leicester of £498 for us taking out the mortgage!
    We were previously with Nationwide and redemption balance was only £112,692, however by the time carrington carr had finished with us the new mortgage with alliance and leicester was completed at £125,495!

THe solicitors letter says i can complain myself to L&G as they were responsible for the advise, or use an independent claims management company they have identified called Mac-Fin consulting.

Do you think i should just write a letter to L&G in the first instance, outlining the above and see what they come back with?

Thanks in advance!

Susie
    firstly you need to establish who's to blame broker or mortgage company you need to

In my circumstances it's the broker that had miss sold mine. Then complain to the mortgage company if you don't have all the paperwork ask for copies from the administration dept they will send you.everything then complain to the lender and take it to the finantial ombudsman service
  • dunstonh
    Options
    connor08 wrote: »
    firstly you need to establish who's to blame broker or mortgage company you need to

In my circumstances it's the broker that had miss sold mine. Then complain to the mortgage company if you don't have all the paperwork ask for copies from the administration dept they will send you.everything then complain to the lender and take it to the finantial ombudsman service

The person posted two years ago and hasnt been back to this site since Sept 2013.

Plus, you cannot complain direct to the FOS. You have to complain to the broker first (or lender if it was them)
  • mis_sold_what
    Options
    I have recently recieved a letter from Goldsmith Williams, the solicitors who did the conveyancing for my mortgage taken out through Carrington Carr. It states they believe i was mis sold my mortgage and the accompanying products.Funny they didnt notice this while dealing with my mortgage.

It also states that they have teamed up with Mac Fin and that someone from their team will contact me to see if i wish to proceed with no win no fee claim for mis selling.
    I want to know what evidence Goldsmith Williams have that makes them believe i was mis sold anything or are they just jumping on the mis selling band wagon and hoping that by sending out lots of letters at least one will actually pay dividends.

I have written to them asking that question because i know the mortgage advisor i dealt with was amazing, open , honest and gave me the option of checking out other mortgage lenders, other insurance products and we discussed everything at great length. I was not pushed into signing on the dotted line until i fully understood and was happy with what i was signing for.The critical illness cover i took out has since paid my mortgage off due to an incurable illness.

Carrington Carr were a nightmare, a very underhanded company who went into administration.

The mortgage advisor i dealt with was self employed but worked selling Carrington Carr's products. I can't praise him enough and i actually followed him to his next company because he was that good.

Are Goldsmith Williams just being ambulance chasers and should i just throw the letter in the bin.

Seems this has been going on for a long time and will continue to do so while there are companies desperate to make money.
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There have been a lot of complaints about Carrington Carr (if this site is anything to go by).

If it was on or after 31 October 2004 that you applied for your mortgage you can complaint to Legal & General (free).

If it was before then you have no real chance.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I have written to them asking that question because i know the mortgage advisor i dealt with was amazing, open , honest and gave me the option of checking out other mortgage lenders, other insurance products and we discussed everything at great length. I was not pushed into signing on the dotted line until i fully understood and was happy with what i was signing for.The critical illness cover i took out has since paid my mortgage off due to an incurable illness.

It is also worth noting that the complaint would be against him and would go on his file for life. It would come up on his reference if he applied for a job elsewhere. This is different to bank staff who are not personally held to account.
    Are Goldsmith Williams just being ambulance chasers and should i just throw the letter in the bin.

in part they are. However, CC do have a high volume of complaints judging by posts here. However, whether that is because they have an active solicitor cold calling people to get them to generate a complaint or whether there is a genuine problem is not really known.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I would advise anyone not to make a complaint themselves, unless you work in the industry & know specifically what to complain about, as it will likely be refused.

Yet every consumer group, regulator and ombudsman says its better to complain yourself and not use a CMC. Indeed, using a CMC can actually harm your complaint if they use a standard template letter.
    Legal & General are not obligated to accept your complaint.
    They are if they are responsible but not if they are not responsible. There is no shade of grey here. If they are liable for the sale then they have to consider the complaint. Using a CMC does not change that.
    If you complain yourself on weak grounds & it's refused that's it - you can't then get an expert claims management company to deal with it as you can only submit a complaint once.
    My advice - use a no win no fee claims management company.

Is that your advice because you work for one?
    The incorrect information you have posted to promote CMCs suggests some bias.

FCA guidelines require the whole sale of the policy to be considered even in areas not raised. So, a weak complaint can lead to a upheld outcome even if that area wasnt raised by the person complaining. This month's ombudsman news makes a point about CMCs putting in template style complaints and how the ombudsman is trying to stop them from doing it by engaging with them or by letting the legal ombudsman know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure