Pension Credit Overpayment (Deceased Estate)

Advice from you lovely people please,
As some of you may or may not know my dad passed away end of April, leaving his whole estate to me, with his solicitor as executor.
Anyway probate has now been granted, I received a call from the Solicitor today saying that all dads details had been sent away to DWP, a letter from the DWp had arrived today saying that Dad had not declared to them since 2003 that he had more savings than he actually had. He had an account with £3000 in it with National Savings which he never told anyone about. At the time of his death his savings were no more than £13000.
What will happen and how much will have to be paid back (hundreds or MORE:mad: )

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nobody but the DWP will be able to tell you how much needs to be paid back. They will do a calculation of any overpayments, which will be submitted to the solicitor, then the deduction made from the estate before your inheritance is handed over to you.

Lots of elderly people don't declare everything, but the taxman or dwp always claim their due before the estate is wound up.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Rough calc: £3000 = £6 per week reduction in Pension Credit Guarantee Element.

£6 x 52 weeks x 4 years = £1248.00 overpaid.
  • jbatista
    jbatista Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    real1314 wrote: »
    Rough calc: £3000 = £6 per week reduction in Pension Credit Guarantee Element.

£6 x 52 weeks x 4 years = £1248.00 overpaid.

OMG-I didnt think that it would be that much!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure