IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Tesco to get blue badge info from dvla

Options

Comments

• Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    Many people with BBs don't know they don't apply to private land let alone people who have no involvement with the BB scheme.

As already mentioned, there are many people with disabilities that don't have a BB, but are eligible to use a disabled bay.

How are Tescos going to manage that situation?
    Where are they going to get the information about blue badge holders from?
    Will they ban someone from a store if they are disabled but don't have a BB?

Back to the old chestnut. Tesco can reserve any bays they like for yellow cars and those in other coloured cars would be liable to be ticketed if they parked there and could be held to breach the parking contract conditions.

That is one type of legal issue. The other but different legislation refers to landowners making provision for people with disabilities, so Tesco could be quite entitled to take a non-BB holding but disabled driver to court for parking in a BB slot, but the disabled driver could, in turn, take Tesco to court for not making provision for their disability and both could win.

The perfect example of the latter would be a visiting relative from Italy who was severely disabled but, of course, could not possibly have a Blue Badge. They could then even add racial discrimination to their counter claim.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I worked at a gaff nearly 20 years ago that solved the abuse of the disabled spaces - place a gate, which a guy only opens if you wave your blue badge at him.

Ditto for parent & child - access only if you've got a child in the car.

You've got the warden there anyway, why not make them do something useful and stop faffing about with DVLA records and hand-helds?
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guys_Dad wrote: »

The perfect example of the latter would be a visiting relative from Italy who was severely disabled but, of course, could not possibly have a Blue Badge. They could then even add racial discrimination to their counter claim.

Isn't there a reciprocal arrangement for EU Blue Badges?
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    I worked at a gaff nearly 20 years ago that solved the abuse of the disabled spaces - place a gate, which a guy only opens if you wave your blue badge at him.

You've got the warden there anyway, why not make them do something useful and stop faffing about with DVLA records and hand-helds?

however not all people who are disabled have a badge , refusal to open the gate would be a breech of the equality act and lead Tesco into deep water with claims against them
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • peter_the_piper
    Options

That would be called managing, you can't expect them to do that, surely.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

and 30 yrs ago , they would push your shopping trolly to the car , pack it for you and be happy if you tipped them a happyenny , now the law says the fat cats can use ANPR and alienate customers and make £100 a time for doing it!

wonder why aldi need to spend so much on TV adverts? for every new customer PE *iss 10 off

if you want to adhere to the equality act/blue badge system (by law) then have a member of staff (dedicated) , not a ANPR system , or a man in a van to help and assist .
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    What's all the fuss about? This is all about what supermarkets generally do to us all the time - make us do what they want rather then providing a real service.

I stopped using the local Tesco's years ago because they let Highview Parking's ANPR loose in their car park. I have been back once, about a month after I last visited it, solely to show the manager how much money I had spent at the local Morrisons instead of in his store. Highview lasted just under a year and no PPC has gone back in since and nor have I.

As ever when it comes to supermarkets its all about money - plain and simple.

The app is probably a similar set up to that used by UKPC (and others) and doesn't link to the DVLA - not directly - that was likely to be just so much bull but it sounds good and portrays an image of power. I predict it will be a flash-in-the-pan and Tescos will quietly slink back into the shadows with it once they have realised how difficult it is to administer. And, of course, quite how p*ssed off the genuinely disabled - with and without a BB - get over things.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • The_Slithy_Tove
    Options
    HO87 wrote: »
    The app is probably a similar set up to that used by UKPC.
    You mean falsifying evidence? 'Nuff said, really.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 October 2016 at 8:44AM
    Options
    Sounds to me like they are just rolling out an app on their staff HH terminals so they can harvest the VRN's and self ticket via a PPC link.

This would give more coverage than using Highview's tame Muppets on their mopeds who are probably spread too thinly to catch the dimwits that park in a disabled bay to pop in for a stale sandwich or use the cash point for five minutes.

Most of the report is probably the usual exaggerated rubbish you get in all journalism.

As for the Abysmal Tesco management I would have thought they need to find other ways of trying to improve their PR than this!
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    fisherjim wrote: »
    ...journalism.
    Since when has it been journalism to robotically regurgitate the contents of the BS propoganda from some spinmeister? That is why there are so few journalists these days because all that the meejah need is someone to feed the press releases in the OCR scanner.
    fisherjim wrote: »
    As for the Abysmal Tesco management I would have thought they need to find other ways of trying to improve their PR than this!
    Oh, but they are. They are listening. Yeah, to their shareholders who want their investment back smart-ish. So they are now aiming at the soft targets to have their pockets picked in addition to the rest of the sheep who think they are really saving by buying a BOGOF.

Shameful.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure