We can't afford to live together and have children

Comments

• JPB156
    JPB156 Posts: 91 Forumite
    We saved all this time so we could get our dream home first and then not worry about affording to move or anything like that again
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    JPB156 wrote: »
    So it's too late for me to grow up?

How about making a start.

Ask people you know (friends and work colleagues) who live in properties of a comparable size to the one you're looking at how much they spend on their household bills. Ask the owners of the property how much their heating, lighting, water etc cost and what the council tax band is.

Try living as a couple in your parents home - doing all your own cooking, food shopping and laundry. Do all the cleaning of both your areas of the house and the communal ones - living rooms, kitchen, bathrooms. After housing you for so long it is the least you can do for your parents and will teach you how much drudgery is involved in owning a home and the need to share chores equitably.
  • Ive been dipping in and out of this thread and I can't believe its gone on this long.

OP I'm a year younger than you bought my property 5 years ago, I wanted to get on with life I wanted place of my own.

A friend of mine slightly older had a much larger deposit in place years before I did, still hasn't bought a place, is now complaining she is priced out of the market (London) because she fretted and dithered and pulled out of more sales than I care to remember. If she had just got on with it should would be in a nice 2 bed flat in zone 3 sitting on decent equity paying less than she is in rent on a mortgage, sometimes you can get so frozen with fear that not making a choice becomes the wrong choice.
  • sweetbabu
    sweetbabu Posts: 162 Forumite
    JPB156 wrote: »
    We saved all this time so we could get our dream home first and then not worry about affording to move or anything like that again
    You don't go into the workforce as CEO of a major international company, so why would you start a few rungs up on the housing ladder?

You start at the bottom and work your way up when you can afford it.

And in any case, all that time spent scrimping and saving (and you have done fantastically well to save such a sum) has been for absolutely nothing if you don't do something with it - and now, because as long as house prices continue to rise and you don't buy, you're going to find yourself priced even more out of the market.
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    I think aside from renting for a year, you both need to seriously think about your careers. I was on min wage in retail and I knew I just couldn't live on that forever. I went to uni as a mature student, just finished my undergrad and I'll doing a masters in September. By September 2018 I'll be able to apply for jobs earning £25k+.
    3 years of education/training is a small amount of time to have a better paying job for the next 35 years of my working life.

Do you both really love your jobs enough that your willing to stay in the on NMW until retirement??
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LilElvis wrote: »
    How about making a start.

Ask people you know (friends and work colleagues) who live in properties of a comparable size to the one you're looking at how much they spend on their household bills. Ask the owners of the property how much their heating, lighting, water etc cost and what the council tax band is.

Even better they could see if there are any Facebook community groups or forums for the area. I belong to two for my area and we frequently get people come on and say they are looking at a house in a particular area and are interested in the costs. They always get tons of feedback and money-saving tips for the area. I am not sure why the OP + GF cannot work out the general living costs though. Surely they must know what sort of food they like to eat, what sort of toiletries they buy, what sort of entertainment they like etc.
  • surveyqueenuk
    surveyqueenuk Posts: 673 Forumite
    Hermia wrote: »
    I am not sure why the OP + GF cannot work out the general living costs though. Surely they must know what sort of food they like to eat, what sort of toiletries they buy, what sort of entertainment they like etc.

Perhaps because they have not yet lived together...
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If your OH were to become pregnant and want to return full time, then childcare may indeed cost most or even all the equivalent of her net income. You might get some help with childcare costs either via the tax credit system or with childcare vouchers.

Or one of you could became a stay at home parent and you would make a claim for working tax credits and child tax credits.

Or one of you could work full-time and the other work evenings and/or weekends and possibly you might still get some tax credits plus both wages from 1 full time and 1 part -time job.

In addition you will get child benefit, which I think is £20 per week for the first-born child.

Run some figures through a tax credit calculator.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Perhaps because they have not yet lived together...

But surely they could still talk about their lifestyles and estimate? Do one or both have to have meat at every meal? Does one or both have health problems that require special food or household products? Does she wear Rimmel or Chanel? Do they drive everywhere? Are they snobby about public transport or cycling? Does either of them have a hobby they need to factor in? Does one spend a lot on presents? Etc etc etc. Even when I was a teen I was more aware of things like this! I knew what sort of eater I was - i.e. I was happy to eat lots of pulses and veg, but on the other hand did not like really cheap bread or cereals etc.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You are worried that if you rent you won't be able to pay the rent when you retire.

If you own your house and the roof needs repaired or the boiler needs replaced, how will you afford that? Or will you expect to have a son who will pay for it because you can't afford it?

You need to decide what you can afford and stop looking at houses you can't/won't afford.
    You do not need a 3 bedroom house which will cost more to buy, cost more if fees, cost more in council tax, cost more in heating and lighting, and cost more to furnish.
    Buy a house where you do not need to rely on a car so you do not need the expense of one.

If you are not prepared to do that then accept that you are never going to move in together.

You sound comfortable in the security of your present situation and reluctant to change it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure