Reply from an employer to a job vacancy

Options

Comments

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »

For future applications, submit your cv in the current Word format. Using such an old version suggests you're out of touch with business practice.

Surely it just suggests that they don't have the latest version of windows/office available for use at home? Says nothing about what they might use for work.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Word 2007, 2010 and 2013 can open Word 97/2003 files (the window title includes "[Compatibility Mode]" when you do this).

OP, this is the problem with the job portals - if you upload your CV to them in Word/PDF format, then they should send it out like that.

If you build your CV using their tools, you don't know what they're sending out format-wise.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you cut through all the nonsense here and read the OP it says....
    Should you still be interested please attach your CV correctly named with a file suffice that aloows me to open it.

Ignoring the spelling mistakes / typos I would take that to mean that the file they received did not, for whatever reason, have an extension (.pdf or .docx etc). As a result a non technical recipient did not know how to open it.

This can sometimes happen between systems particularly if it was created on a Mac or Linux and the option to have PC type file extensions had not been enabled. Or it could somehow have got stripped when uploaded via a web page.

It is always best to actually think before pressing send in email exchanges! Assuming the job was really of interest I would send a polite email referring to the "humorous" email exchange and attaching a file (with a .pdf or .docx) extension!
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I shall assume that was deliberate rather than the law acting again.

You exhume correctally.
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Options
    Oh honestly, you are the one who wants the job not the HR person. Although their reply was rushed and curt yours was the reply that would prevent you going any further in my company. Learn the art of charm and you may find you progress easier through your errors.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CCFC_80 wrote: »
    Think thats a Bit harsh. They didnt ask for a specific format. Fairly sure word 97-2003 was sent. Its what I have saved. Also have it saved in pdf as well

You should always send your CV in PDF format as that is one of the most common formats for finished documents. It also preserves the formatting and displays it how you intend it to be, if you send it in an old word format a different version of word may change the formatting slightly which could make it look very unprofessional.

Even if a company says they will accept either a word file or a PDF you should always send a PDF as they look much more professional.
  • mattcanary
    mattcanary Posts: 4,420 Forumite
    Options
    If they requested a particular format and you sent something else, or if you sent something that they couldn't open, that shows a lack of attention to detail.

Telling you this is useful advice for you in future.

I don't think they in any way are claiming they made spelling mistakes deliberately. They are just telling you that an email with spelling mistakes creates a bad impression in the same way as sending the wrong format. However, they don't have to impress you - their email was doing you a favour - they could have just binned your application, said nothing, and let you make the same mistake with other companies. So they don't have to take so much care when they are doing something for your benefit as you do when applying for a job.

So I am pretty much with the company on this.

They should also be creating the impression of being a good company to work for.
  • mattcanary
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    I can see that the e-mail felt patronising to you, but at the same time, it's valid for an employer / HR person to let you know that there are problems with the way your application is sent .

I think ideally the response would have been to leave it a little while to calm down, then to respond back asking if they could forward to you, what they received, so that you could address any problems. That way, you come across as professional and also so you can see what they got, and if what happened was that the portal used corrupted the files, you can then respond, explaining that and including the correct attachment.

If what you get back is exactly what you sent then you can consider whether it's appropriate to think about renaming your document and/or changing the format.

While the HR person could have just asked for a different format, I don't think that what they said was inappropriate. It sounds to me as though they were trying to be helpful by letting you know that your application had arrived looking unprofessional. I think the comment about the spelling errors can read the same way- I would not read that as them saying that they deliberately put errors in, but that sloppiness and avoidable errors look bad and are noticeable.

There are ways in which they could better have phrased the same message, but over all, I would see this as someone trying to help you by flagging up the issues, and effects of issues, with your application.

A job interview is a 2 way process where you are sizing up the company, as well as the other way around, but mostly, at this early stage, it's more about you impressing them than the other way round -
    your application should be you at your best.

Why is this the case? First impressions count - on both sides.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mattcanary wrote: »
    They should also be creating the impression of being a good company to work for.
    Only if they actually want you to work for them...
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • mattcanary
    Options
    Oh honestly, you are the one who wants the job not the HR person. Although their reply was rushed and curt yours was the reply that would prevent you going any further in my company. Learn the art of charm and you may find you progress easier through your errors.

Why is it always the applicant/employee that has to rollover for the employer's benefit.
    Would you all be happy to roll-over like a soft labrador and display such obvious signs of weakness in front of your other half?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure