My conversation with the CC Company...

"Hi, I'd like to close my Credit Card account, please"

"Okay, Can I ask why?" The Bank

"Sure, I've made the final payment on the Balance Transfer that I used the card for and don't want the card now"

"Do you have any other CCs?" The Bank

"I have one....."

"What's the interest rate on that because I can give you a 0% BT?" The Bank

"It's 0% for the next 10 months"

"Oh, What will you use for purchases?" The Bank

"My Debit Card" in a voice that I am slowly raising ;)

"Well you can use your Credit Card for purchases and pay the balance off each month" The Bank

"I WANT TO CLOSE MY Credit Card ACCOUNT............"

"Some people keep their Credit Card for emergencies, how do you feel about that?" The Bank

"Good for them - I WANT TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT NOW!!"

"Okay Sir, I'll do that for you now - we'll send you a letter to confirm" The Bank

"Thank you, Have A Nice Day............:D "

Comments

• Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Oh dear! They are a bit slow sometimes, but hey if you'd had an interest paying debt that could have been great to BT it over.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • Crown
    Crown Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    They will try any tactics as they know that if the caqrd is kept for emergencies sooner or later it will be used again.

Good for you though that you stuck to your guns ;)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 297 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts :D
  • redrabbit29
    redrabbit29 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Remember that the person you are speaking to is probably hating having to "interrogate you".

I've worked several jobs where i've had to ask stupid questions, and nearly push my luck, but I did it becuase I was made to by the company.

I'm sure he'd love to just reply with "yep - it's closed - anything else?"

Nice one on closing the account by the way!
    Amo L'Italia
  • Sometimes they are a bit dense, but sometimes it's part of their job to try to keep the customer & they don't know where to draw the line. I had the same sort of conversation when I wanted my BT line cut off because I was moving - I don't know how many times I said it, but in the end I told the woman that if she wanted to pay my rent & line rental for the old flat, I'd keep the property on & keep the line, otherwise I wanted it cut off by a specific date. She couldn't get it through her head that even if I loved every inch of BT's service, I didn't want the line because I wouldn't be there to use it. :D
  • steve700
    steve700 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Yes, I know they're only doing their job but if I had thought about it, I could have begun the conversation with:

"Hello, I don't have any balances to transfer, I have a contingency for emergencies, I have a Debit Card for Purchases, I'd like to close my account please?" ;)
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there

This made me smile...as yesterday i had a call about taking on a CC.... i have never had one..wouldnt dare:D .... they couldnt believe that neither i nor my hubby have one...or want one!

"but madame its really not good relying on just a cheque book for big purchases and emergancies"....well thats ok because i dont have one of those either:D
    You should have heard the intake of breath:rotfl: :rotfl:
    "so, so you just use a debit card?" -yes..or cash ! -im sure i must have said a rude word as the poor guy was gob smacked..
    "but if you take our card and it is used fraudulently we will refund you" - but if i dont have a card....it cant be used fraudulently!!!.. this conversation went on for quite a while.... the poor guy geting more shell shocked and me finding it more funny that this guy couldnt get his head around the fact that some people still use the folding stuff:rotfl: :rotfl:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Class!!!!

Made me smile. I had a similar experience the other week.

Can't wait to phone MBNA the end of this week (they are persistent and last time offered me a 0% deal and took a lower BT admin fee because I asked!) It was useful at the time because I was able to transfer another balance, but as of this month I will have paid off £18k of cards!!!

Well congratulations and keep posting!!!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • steve700
    steve700 Posts: 312 Forumite
    Class!!!!

Made me smile. I had a similar experience the other week.

Can't wait to phone MBNA

but as of this month I will have paid off £18k of cards!!!

Mine was MBNA - It must be a script that they recite from..........

Congratulations to you for clearing that much CC debt!!
  • redrabbit29
    redrabbit29 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there

This made me smile...as yesterday i had a call about taking on a CC.... i have never had one..wouldnt dare:D .... they couldnt believe that neither i nor my hubby have one...or want one!

"but madame its really not good relying on just a cheque book for big purchases and emergancies"....well thats ok because i dont have one of those either:D
    You should have heard the intake of breath:rotfl: :rotfl:
    "so, so you just use a debit card?" -yes..or cash ! -im sure i must have said a rude word as the poor guy was gob smacked..
    "but if you take our card and it is used fraudulently we will refund you" - but if i dont have a card....it cant be used fraudulently!!!.. this conversation went on for quite a while.... the poor guy geting more shell shocked and me finding it more funny that this guy couldnt get his head around the fact that some people still use the folding stuff:rotfl: :rotfl:

I get the same *shock* treatment and intake of breathe during this conversation:

Them: and your mobile number sir?
    me: I don't have a mobile?
    them: what?!

I hate it when people assume you MUST have a mobile phone.

Oh, and I don't have a credit card either, and never have had one. Although I did apply a few times but got turned down. Although I would be accepted now though.
    Amo L'Italia
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport