Maternity pay question

Hi all,
Briefly, a friend of my wife went on maternity leave in early October last year. Her employer assured her that she would get 100% pay for three months. Yesterday the girl went through her bank statements and seen that she was £123 down. She earns in the region of £32,000 per year.
Obviously she can ring her employer tomorrow but I'm curious as to if anyone has a hunch as to what it could be?

Comments

• NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Early Oct - early Jan is 3 months. What does her contract state she will get?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Far too vague. Why is she looking at bank statements for information on her pay?

She needs to look at her payslips.
  • Far too vague. Why is she looking at bank statements for information on her pay?

She needs to look at her payslips.

This. Her employer should be sending her payslips (or possibly giving her access to online info if payslips are normally online).
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • buel10
    buel10 Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry everybody, I've got them here...
    [IMG][/img]AUGUST.jpg

[IMG][/img]OCTOBER.jpg
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There seems to be a salary sacrifice pension scheme here.
    My guess as to what has happened is....

It appears to me that the earnings figure used was based on the average taxable earnings to date ie about £2438 this was then reduced by the pension for that month to work out the tax/ni etc. The pension that was taken off the £2438 was then added to the employer's pension contribution or thereabouts I cannot get the figures to agree exactly.

If this is what has happened the question is were they correct to work out the gross pay due as being the taxable gross average (ie after deduction of pension) All I can say on this is that if statutory maternity pay was being paid then this would have been calculated like this but you would need to check the contract to see if this is how it should be done.
    Also having used the taxable gross (ie after deducting the pension) to work out the maternity pay are they then right to deduct the pension from this reduced figure.

I would add that there has been a small change in the tax code which has had a slight affect on earnings reducing the net pay by about £12.

My theory may be completely wrong so would be very interested in hearing whatever explanation the employer gives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure