Can new employer know when I left previous job

1235»

Comments

• Cpu2007
    Cpu2007 Posts: 723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    pmduk wrote: »
    Comments aren't stupid just because they're not what you want to hear.

Absolutely, that's because they are stupid to start with.
  • Have you contacted HR yet to redress the situation? Will you keep the thread updated?
    Debt-free by January 1st, 2019.
    £4905.87/£5124 - as of 24/03/18
  • Cpu2007
    Have you contacted HR yet to redress the situation? Will you keep the thread updated?

Yes I have contacted them and will let you guys know how it went.
  • Energize
    Energize Posts: 509 Forumite
    w00519772 wrote: »
    I work in the IT sector. I wouldn't say they are taking advantage - they just want to pay you what you are worth and your current salary is the best indication of this.

An individuals current salary is a terrible indicator of worth!

One individuals salary does not represent an average market value, and even averages don't mean that much because each company assigns value differently.

If I pay a shelf stacker £100k, that does not mean that their free market value is £100k or that any other company would value them at such a high amount.

As a prospective employer, a candidates value is solely determined by what they can bring to the company, it does not change based on their current salary.

The only reason you would want to know a candidates existing salary is to determine the lowest amount you could get away with offering them.
  • Cpu2007
    Just an update. Had a call couple of weeks ago from HR and they told me that I shouldn't have lied about it but they understand my circumstances.
    They added that they are not concerned about why I have been out of my previous job for so many months and that because I passed all the technical interviews, they are happy to still offer me the job.
    The employment screening went well and started my job last week.
    It all went well fortunately. Thank you for the help guys!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Incidentally, when asked what my salary is, I tell them the salary I want.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Cpu2007 wrote: »
    Just an update. Had a call couple of weeks ago from HR and they told me that I shouldn't have lied about it but they understand my circumstances.
    They added that they are not concerned about why I have been out of my previous job for so many months and that because I passed all the technical interviews, they are happy to still offer me the job.
    The employment screening went well and started my job last week.
    It all went well fortunately. Thank you for the help guys!

Congrats, that's excellent news. You've now got the new job you wanted and don't have to worry about this hanging over your head. I wish you the best of luck in your new job.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Good news that you've still got the job, but don't make the mistake of thinking that the organisation's level of trust in you will be what it would have been if you hadn't lied to them. I think you need to tread very carefully with them from now on, especially as your line manager will almost certainly be aware of what's been going on...
  • Cpu2007
    Thank you so much. I absolutely agree with that. I've been quite concerned this whole time and that was simply because of the mistake I made. That's true, I don't think it's over as they definitely have put some trust in me so I will make sure that I can don't break that trust as well as showing them that they didn't make a mistake by hiring me.
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Good stuff - get in there and really show them what you can do and that they've made the right decision in letting your mistake pass...

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport