Child maintenance advice

Hi.
My husband has 2 children from a previous relationship. We recently got married. His ex is claiming that now that we are married, my wage has to be added in to my husband's so that I'm essentially paying maintenance for their children too. Is this correct?
My husband has always paid her their agreed amount and even added extra when she's struggled. But since we've now got our own home to pay for (We were living apart for 5 years to save for our wedding and a deposit for our home) we've obviously had to keep it to their prearranged agreed amount. We've got a baby on the way and whilst I'm aware her payments will drop, we have decided to keep her payments at the current amount.
Should I be being maintaince for their children?

Comments

• Sambella
    Sambella Posts: 417 Forumite
    I've helped Parliament
    Your salary is not taken into account.

But

If you will be claiming any tax credits/child tax credits after the birth of your baby your entitlement is worked out on both your incomes but he still has to pay based on his gross salary (not yours) which effectively (even after reduction for the new baby) leaves your family below what the law says a family needs to live on. How much depends on how much he pays.

I quote “ 28. Paying unrealistic child maintenance for the children of the first family can leave non-resident parents with inadequate resource for their new family obligations. The children of this family suffer in consequence.“

Quote taken from here -

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/work-and-pensions-committee/child-maintenance-services/written/39518.html
  • Thank you for your reply. Just knowing that my salary isn't taken into account is such a relief. It's caused me too much stress since she demanded that it get sorted to include my wage.

I don't think I'm entitled to any benefits other than child benefit anyway.

Again, thank you. ��
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport