PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Yes that's the way it was when I was raised too. It had to be that way no fridges or freezers and lots of stuff was still on ration plus money was tight.

Looking back I think I was lucky to be raised that way. I was happy healthy and learned to appreciate a treat. Mum baked jam tarts scones, rock buns .Bread and teacakes and fruit cake.

I raised my own family along the same lines but had a fridge in the late 60s and then a freezer so more choice. but had to work hard to avoid the children getting picky and asking for more and more sweet things. Lol I remember my son feeling very hard done by when he was told No he couldn't have cheesecake for his tea but could have it after instead.

I see nothing wrong in being a creature of habit. Lol we all are in that we all need to eat and we all have our own different habits.

Absolutely it would a very boring world if we were all the same :D

Good morning everyone,

After the horrible weather yesterday the sun is shining this morning so I'm hoping it stays that way:).

Pootled through to the kitchen after my shower to find a bunch of gladioli sitting on the counter:), my Dad must have popped by and departed while I was showering. I do live in a very low crime area but it did make me think especially now I'm poochless that perhaps I ought to be a tad more security conscious:eek:.

I had a butter-fingers moment last night and managed to badly crack a couple of eggs:o, I did manage to salvage them so eggs for lunch today:). As the forecast is ok and warmish for the next few days I'm going to freeze what's left of the soup I made yesterday. Lamb chop I think for tonight:)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CFO not going very well here.

Cooked a pizza last night then only ate a slice. Had another slice earlier but don't want to just stuff my face with the rest so I have put it in the freezer.

Just had my second breakfast of toast, which I managed to burn!

I've got a feeling today will be an eat everything and anything I can get my hands on kind of day :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

It's sunny here too but I am in work so can't take advantage of it. The air con is on though which makes it very pleasant to be in :)

Thank you for sharing your quick and easy meal ideas it's been great and given me some ideas. When I was growing up my parents were adventurous with food and still are. Mum also made everything from bread and muesli to sorbets and ice cream so it gave me a good grounding in cooking and eating. Dad still won't eat anything where the sauce has come out of a packet or jar and as he's 83 now I don't think he's going to change anytime soon ;)

Lunch today is a cheese, ham and onion chutney sandwich, yoghurt and fruit and tea will be a chilli with wedges.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 July 2017 at 12:23PM
    Options
    KArcher........I've just had my second breakfast too. :rotfl: glad I'm not the only one who likes to have more than 3 meals a day. I am quite the "LIttle Hobbit" - I am a girl who likes her grub. :D

Luckily I like cooking and am quite adventurous, I will try most things once and there's not much I won't eat.

The only reason I don't eat grains is for health reasons. I adore nice bread and it was difficult at first having to give it up. But......it's worth it because I really do feel so much better now than I adhere to Paleo principles. I can allow myself bread about once a week without disastrous results. If I overdo it then I'm in trouble so it's just not worth falling off the wagon.

I have bought some alternative flours to have a go at Paleo friendly baking so that I can make myself the odd biscuit or bit of cake.

My neighbour gave me a bowl of red currants and blackcurrants. I cooked them down and they are delicious with natural Greek yoghurt for "first breakfast".

I have various bits of veg lurking in the fridge so tonight will be Moroccan chicken with a medley of Mediterranean style veg. Still got plenty of fruit for pudding and general nibbles. Need to get some chocolate though........I have ran out. That will never do.!!!

Today will clean the fridge ready to do a stock up tomorrow.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I started off with Greek yoghurt and mixed berries for breakfast, then fancied some toast and jam for a mid morning snack, so had that.

I will make my lunch in a minute a cheese and pickle sandwich.

Dinner I'm having a turkey breast fillet in a creamy mushroom and pepper sauce. I'm not sure whether that will be with rice or pasta, although I am veering more towards the rice option at the minute.

I made a bakewell cake yesterday so a slice of that will be pudding. :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

Pootled through to the kitchen after my shower to find a bunch of gladioli sitting on the counter:), my Dad must have popped by and departed while I was showering. I do live in a very low crime area but it did make me think especially now I'm poochless that perhaps I ought to be a tad more security conscious:eek:.

Agreed:) - ie re being more security-conscious.

Cautionary tale - years back a friend of mine lived in what they perceived as "very low crime area". In their case too - the house they had was clearly not likely to be occupied with anyone with any money much. However, other nearby houses were clearly the homes of comfortably off people. All round - they didnt think they were at risk.

My eyebrows went up and I went :eek: when they told me this. They didn't listen to me. You guessed the rest - only they came into the room in time to yell at the would-be thief standing there (ie before they'd managed to help themselves to anything).

......and you're a woman. There is you as well to protect.:cool:
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Agreed:) - ie re being more security-conscious.
    I always keep the front door locked when I'm in the house even though my son (with a law degree would you believe?!) thinks it's madness.

What I have learned during Criminology lectures is that a lot of crimes are crimes of opportunity - don't give anyone the opportunity to get into your door/windows/shed/garage etc regardless of whether you live in a high or low crime area. Sad but true.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'd gathered that most thieves are opportunists too - they'll take the easy way if they see one.

Not someone like me - that keeps doors etc locked and it's probably clear that I'd be quite prepared to literally "fight back" if need be if I actually spotted them.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    I always keep the front door locked when I'm in the house even though my son (with a law degree would you believe?!) thinks it's madness.

What I have learned during Criminology lectures is that a lot of crimes are crimes of opportunity - don't give anyone the opportunity to get into your door/windows/shed/garage etc regardless of whether you live in a high or low crime area. Sad but true.
    I'd gathered that most thieves are opportunists too - they'll take the easy way if they see one.

Not someone like me - that keeps doors etc locked and it's probably clear that I'd be quite prepared to literally "fight back" if need be if I actually spotted them.

My front door (on a main road) auto locks so no need to worry about that side of the house. The back is reasonably secure any would be thief would have two gates and a long over-looked garden to reach the house but it did make me think. I'm very good at locking up if popping out but don't lock the back door when I'm in (though do at night) but think I will start if I'm in the shower as I hadn't a clue anyone had been in the house this morning and my Dad isn't known for his silent approach......
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have been burgled and the victim of street crime more times than I care to mention. I don't think it makes any difference where you live. I've lived in posh leafy surburbs and working class neighbourhoods, got burgled in both.

Spain was the worst........

Yes, it's nearly always about "opportunity". If the scroats think they have a chance then they will be in like a shot.

So all you can do is try and protect yourselves - especially if you live alone. Beef up security, photo all your valuables and keep all receipts for the insurance company. I now have a safe for valuables and essential paperwork such as passports etc. And I keep my doors locked.

When travelling I try not to look too much like a tourist, dress conservatively like the locals, no expensive Jewellery, no camera or standing on the street looking at maps. I wear a cross body bag with the opening facing me rather than outwards. I avoid suspicious looking alleys and short cuts, both home and abroad. I have a personal alarm.

A police officer told me you need to really watch your body language, and try not to look like a weak victim, to stride out and look strong and powerful. .....:rotfl: And never to allow yourself to be jostled or get pressed in a crowd.

Sad that we have to be so careful but I'm afraid that's just the way it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure