loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    buy the ST and an electric bike.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    loskie wrote: »
    buy the ST and an electric bike.
    Electric bike? For three miles each way...?
  • AdrianC wrote: »
    Electric bike? For three miles each way...?

lol, just what I was thinking.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The OP is clearly lazy so this suggestion was to meet his needs.
  • mambo69
    mambo69 Posts: 451 Forumite
    There some people here who are so rude making a judgement on a person they have never met. I am surprised anyone ever asks for advise.

I have 2 children so after work i need to pick them up from the childminder. This is not possible on a bike.

Thanks for the informed opinions about the question i asked
  • AdrianC
    mambo69 wrote: »
    There some people here who are so rude making a judgement on a person they have never met. I am surprised anyone ever asks for advise.

I have 2 children so after work i need to pick them up from the childminder. This is not possible on a bike.
    We can only work on the information we're given...

A bike was a suggestion to speed your journey up. Three miles each way would be perfectly doable on foot - yes, even with children. Or you can get a trailer for the bike to hold two small children, if they're too small to ride their own bikes.

Driving three urban miles each way, twice a day, five days a week, is a very quick way to kill any car. To consider doing it in a high-performance car can only be driven by vanity.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Maybe I'm missing something but on a 3-mile journey on 40mph roads - will the OP ever use the turbo? Unless there's a lot of traffic-light Grand Prix starts... I drove my 1.6 Ecoboost on a 6-7 mile cross-London commute for 3 1/2 years which rarely got over 30mph and got consumption in the mid to high 30s mpg. About to be 6 years old and no problems or noise. Gets a 75 mile motorway run once a month or so....

Yeah - I know the ST is more powerful and possibly more delicate than my warm-hatch version but the principle is the same, isn't it?
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • AdrianC
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but on a 3-mile journey on 40mph roads - will the OP ever use the turbo? Unless there's a lot of traffic-light Grand Prix starts... I drove my 1.6 Ecoboost on a 6-7 mile cross-London commute for 3 1/2 years which rarely got over 30mph and got consumption in the mid to high 30s mpg. About to be 6 years old and no problems or noise. Gets a 75 mile motorway run once a month or so....

Yeah - I know the ST is more powerful and possibly more delicate than my warm-hatch version but the principle is the same, isn't it?
    Turbos spin (very, VERY fast) the entire time the engine's running. They're basically a little windmill in the exhaust.
    They don't spin hard enough to produce any pressurisation of the inlet tract ("boost") unless there's sufficient exhaust flow, though.
  • NBLondon wrote: »

Turbos turn at anything up to 120K RPM (exc. really high end stuff) and reach that from idle RPM in 1-2 seconds. Even at idle, the turbo cartridge is turning at thousands of RPM.

One whiff of throttle will spin the turbo up to 50K plus on a modern engine... turbos are tested to >200K RPM on balancing at manufacture in some cases.
  • Jono987
    Jono987 Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    This forum is getting worse and worse. Someone asks a question and gets attacked for being lazy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure