Guide to house extension costs

Comments

• I suppose it depends on where you live as well.
    Personally I think £35000 for a 14.7m2 extension is steep.
    Our 2 storey extension is in the region of 30m2 and it costing us a few ££££ more than your quote and that includes VAT.
  • tillson
    tillson Posts: 167 Forumite
    Thanks Bob

I am located in Derbyshire, midlands. Ground in mainly clay based and 2 and a half of the 4 walls that will form the new extension are already built.

I don't won't to screw the builder down to the bare minimum, just a fair price for a fair job. I am still waiting on 3 more quotes so maybe they will be closer to my expectations.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Regards
    Tom
  • I'm located in Derbyshire, our foundations had to be 2.2m deep do to the neighbours trees.
  • tillson
    The price that you have been quoted for your 30 m square two storey extension: To what extent will it be finished?

For example does it include plastering, plumbing, electrical work, joinery etc?

Thanks

Tom
  • Hi, i thought i would post in here as well as its the same topic.

I am having quotes though at the moment for a small extension (about 12 ft by 8ft) and converting an existing coal shed into a shower room/wc.

At the moment we have said that we are paying cash and the lowest price have been able to haggle to is £22500 + Vat so £26437. We have had a couple of quotes and both are around £25000. We are in Guildford Surrey.

We are trying to get closer to £20000 but it seems this is near enough impossible. Does £25000 seem reasonable to anyone?

Thanks
    Darren
  • tillson
    A friend of mine is having a toilet block / wash room built on the end of his business showroom. It measures 16' x 8' has a sloped tiled roof, built from block and rendered. Price for this with plaster finish, with all services electrical and water, excluding tiles and hardware is £12000.

I am going to ask this same builder to quote for my kitchen extension mentioned earlier in this thread. I have not had my other three quotes back, but I am starting to get the impression that £35k is an inflated price.
  • tillson
    Just had another quotation for my 3m x 4m extension of which 2.5 of the walls already exist and the internal block wall to form the shower room. £50000. This is basically to provide the shell, so by the time I have added the fitting and kitchen units it will be well over £60000. This equates to about £5K per square metre!

I am no builder, but something doesn't add up here. I have just seen a TV programme where a couple completely renovated a badly neglected cottage and added a two storey extension of greater area than mine, supposedly for £25K.
  • tillson wrote: »
    The price that you have been quoted for your 30 m square two storey extension: To what extent will it be finished?

For example does it include plastering, plumbing, electrical work, joinery etc?

Thanks

Tom

It includes plastering, plumbing, all electrical work, joinery, fitting new bathroom, fitting new cloakroom suite and fitting new kitchen/utility room.

All we have to do is paint it afterwards.
  • shona_2
    shona_2 Posts: 467 Forumite
    Does anyone have an idea of a ball park figure for an attic conversion per m2? Will need beams moved as are W shaped at the moment.
    We wouldn't need a dormer though as there's plenty of headroom - velux windows would do.
  • devmcc
    devmcc Posts: 216 Forumite
    Hi - I am also looking to have an extension built in the next couple of months - looking for an additional room off the kitchen - sort of a conservatory type room but with a proper roof and walls!! Single storey... Any ideas on price for say around 13*14foot?? Also, has anyone had plans drawn up in the merseyside area?? Looking for a builder toooo:eek: !!!

Any advice would be smashing!
    Hope you are all having a good weekend....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure