Do students pay prescription charges? And how should students save

Hello people- I hope you can help answer my query!

I have a continual aim to become more money savvy whilst a student so I can cope a bit easier when I come out of Higher education

My question is- do students over 18 in full time education have to pay for their prescriptions?

I was talking to my boyfriend the other day, and his dentist told him about a form you can fill in and dependant on your household income, you may not have to pay for your prescriptions.

Is this true?

Last question is I am working over summer and I would like to put half my wages into a savings account, but I am not sure which saving account would be best for a student.

Thanks lots!!!!
:cool:

Comments

• Meatballs
    Meatballs Posts: 586
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Get a cash ISA (but with instant access unless you know you definitly wont need the money). Try and reach your £3000 allowance.

Read: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account
  • students don't get free prescriptions per se, but most will qualify on the grounds of low income. You need to get a HC1 form when you start at uni and fill that in. Your student advice centre should have some, as will your gp and dentist.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • cannylass_2
    cannylass_2 Posts: 303 Forumite
    16-19 year olds in full time education, are entitled to free prescriptions (see the back of the prescription for this info).
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most..... ;)
  • thanks to everyone who got back to me!

:o
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Meatballs wrote: »
    Get a cash ISA (but with instant access unless you know you definitly wont need the money). Try and reach your £3000 allowance.

Read: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account

Surely the advantage of an ISA is that you don't pay tax on it? As most students are non taxpyers, it rather negates the purpose of it for them.
  • freebie_junkie
    freebie_junkie Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    students don't get free prescriptions per se, but most will qualify on the grounds of low income. You need to get a HC1 form when you start at uni and fill that in. Your student advice centre should have some, as will your gp and dentist.

the threashold is very low though, im a student and also self-employed, i only made just over £4000 last year and im not entitled any more
    :T The best things in life are FREE! :T
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Surely the advantage of an ISA is that you don't pay tax on it? As most students are non taxpyers, it rather negates the purpose of it for them.

Because its use it or loose it
    Once you start paying tax you wont pay tax on the contributions from the years you have been adding.
  • cannylass wrote: »
    16-19 year olds in full time education, are entitled to free prescriptions (see the back of the prescription for this info).

It's 16-18 year olds who get free prescriptions (when in full time education).
    They say you can't put a value on life... but I live it at half price!
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    True when you are 19 or 20 and still in college education you still get screwed on prescription charges (even though you still qualify for child benefit and tax credits as a qualifying young person)!!
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • pondie1
    pondie1 Posts: 1,704
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i just applied for my daughters who are at uni,they can only say no really
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income