Can you use antiseptic cream on a dog, and if not why?

Can you use antiseptic cream on a dog, and if not why?

Comments

• shikoku
    shikoku Posts: 671 Forumite
    It would probably lick it off and swallow it.
    ~*~ If you don't need it, it isn't a bargain ~*~
  • umm where is the freebie here?
  • lorweld
    lorweld Posts: 5,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
    :hello:
  • I would say it depends on What the wound is and where it is on your dog.

I have used antisceptic creams on my dogs and not had any problems with them.
  • I'm a vet, and I regularly advise their use in mild problems. Sometimes you just don't need the excessive power of an antibacterial or steroid based cream and then again, sometimes you do.
    Garantissez-moi de mes amis, je saurai me defendre de mes ennemis
  • Well I swear by Sudocrem for using on any grazes/cuts my horses get, never done them any harm and a hell of a lot cheaper using human stuff than anything with "equine" in the title!
    Decent Wins / Freebies to date:- £500 Tottie clothing (win), £120 Sonicare Whitening Toothbrush (trial), Numerous equestrian supplements (approx £200 worth in wins), Jodhphurs x 2 (one win, one trial), Supreme Products products set (win). Equestrian sponsorship gained from 3 companies (approx money/freebies to date worth approx £400).
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    My vet told me to use tcp on my bird's leg. But I'd be concerned that a cream would sit on the skin and then be licked off
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• hannah899
    hannah899 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    my mum uses sudocream then covers with a special doggy bandage
    it might not be much, but its better than a kick in the teeth:rotfl:

2010 WINS: £80 SURESWEEPSTAKE, 2 FLIP MINO HD CAMCORDERS, TRIUPH CRYING WOMEN LINGERIE, TOY STORY3 LOTSO TEDDY BEAR, £150 BERRYS VOUCHER, XBOX 36O WITH KINECT
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I`ve used both savlon and germoline and then covered with a plaster or bandage. Most times bathing in a lukewarm saline solution twice daily does the trick for small cuts.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • The best thing I've found (and it was recommended by my vet) is Hibiscrub watered down and applied and just left - don't rinse off. Sudocrem can also work but is nuisance on anything with long hair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure