Debit card won't work online

Got a new visa debit card from Nat West replacing my switch but the thing won't work on any websites :mad:
The card type selected does not match card number range entered, please select the correct card type.

or
•There card number you have entered appears to be invalid

I tried ringing Nat West but they said it's nowt to do with them & need to ring the retailers involved but the retailers all say it's the bank & that they can't help. It works in cash machines but not any where I need to enter the card number...

It's really annoting now cause need to buy train tickets today and have no money on my credit card. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The obvious answer here is to discuss it with NatWest.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Have you used it in shops etc.?

HSBC you have to activate it before you can use it.
  • The obvious answer here is to discuss it with NatWest.

Have rang them 3 times and no one has a clue, they keep saying that there is nothing wrong with the card, no block on it and it should work and I should contact the retailers involved.

The retailers say it is a bank problem.

I'm just wondering if it is a common problem really.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's a retailer problem - they need to update their systems to recognise the new card number range.

That WILL happen - but not in a hurry.

It's happened a lot recently with banks introduccing new products - eg mastercard debit cards.
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not all retailers card processing systems accept the 4751 BIN yet, which is why you are having issues. Not the banks fault, you need to contact the retailers affected.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • Lokolo wrote: »
    Have you used it in shops etc.?

HSBC you have to activate it before you can use it.

Works fine in banks/shops etc just not over the phone or the internet... Nat West have said it is activated, cheers though.
  • dzug1 wrote: »
    It's a retailer problem - they need to update their systems to recognise the new card number range.

That WILL happen - but not in a hurry.

It's happened a lot recently with banks introduccing new products - eg mastercard debit cards.

Thanks for that... explains it far better than the bank attempted to!

Wish I could have my maestro card back now mind, I need to do a lot of online purchasing so this leaves me really stuck.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Make sure you are selecting Visa Debit rather than Visa, if there is that option available. Also try Delta if there is an option for that (instead of Visa).
  • glider3560 wrote: »
    Make sure you are selecting Visa Debit rather than Visa, if there is that option available. Also try Delta if there is an option for that (instead of Visa).

Cheers have given it a go (infact tried everyone) but to no avail. Seems like I am just left with a useless debit card for the time being.
  • Cheers have given it a go (infact tried everyone) but to no avail. Seems like I am just left with a useless debit card for the time being.
    Time to change banks then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport