Confused and would appeciate advice re: default/DMP/credit/F&F

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I thought I understood a situation I'm in but now I don't!

About 12 years ago, when I was 16, Halifax gave me £1000 which I happily spent and didn't pay back (oops!). It got the point I was getting charges and interest and I contacted CCCS to arrange a payment plan. I have since been paying £1 a month and had actually just forgotten all about it.

I just decided I should have a look at my credit file and saw that it states I defaulted in October 2010 (which is at least 3 years after I was in trouble). I presume this is the point Halifax passed the debt to Cabot Financial although I don't have any paperwork to hand to check this but the timing seems right. I have continued to pay the agreed £1 a month as a standing order (I really had forgotten about it until recently) and so I thought there shouldn't be a monthly default each month.

I know this will drop off my file next year and that it's only a small amount but I'm worried it will hamper my plans to get a mortgage before then?

I was going to offer a F&F to them to clear this finally but I wanted to know whether it's right to be showing as a default and whether any default causes issues or does it depend on amount etc?

I just don't really understand how it all works when I thought making the agreed payment each month was what mattered.

I'm not sure if any of that makes sense, apologies if not! I think I just want to know if what's showing is right, what affect that has before contacting them to make a F&F offer...

Thanks in advance for any patient people willing to help a stupid person :)

Comments

• Jon81
    Jon81 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Erm, 16? I think you'd have grounds to challenge its entire validity wouldn't you?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,
    Legally you can't have credit at 16 unless an adult stands as a guarantor for you.

It's a bit of a grey area when you reach the age of 18, if you become liable for that debt or not, personally I don't think you do, my advice would be to write to the DCA, stating you were 16 at the time credit was granted, enclose a copy of your birth certificate, if you can, and advise them the debt would be unenforcable, and invite them to prove otherwise.

I suspect the debt will quietly disappear, and you won't hear any more about it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • hanb
    hanb Posts: 464 Forumite
    I now have a horrible feeling I was 18 and not 16. I just remember I was still at sixth form and definitely too stupid for it!

I'll go back through my paperwork and double check I'm not telling fibs. I was going to change my current account from HSBC (no overdraft) to Halifax and they said it was standard when switching to allow room for any errors.. I know I was stupid for spending it like it was free money - I definitely learned my lesson and haven't been so stupid again!

If I find out I was 18, where do I stand with the whole default side of things? Is the account in default from the moment I started paying £1 a month until the point it's either paid off in full or drops off my account next year? I'm not sure where I got my understanding of it not defaulting if you were keeping up to date with a payment plan.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ok, assuming you were 18, a creditor can default you at any time, after you stop making contractual payments, the "cause of action", the point a creditor could take legal action, for non payment, is not the same as the default date, in your case I think it should of been defaulted earlier, in which case you can complain to the lender, and have the date rectified.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Wrong thread, sorry.
    The person who moves a mountain begins by carrying small stones.
    Diet loss starting Sept 2019 0/80lbs:eek::o
    Proud to be No. 47 of the DMP mutual support club
    DFW Nerd #380. Proud to be dealing with my debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills