Dmp

Hello

First time poster here.

Just going through setting up a DMP with Stepchange.

I've set up a basic bank account with Nat West and paperwork should be here next.
I'm after some advice as to what to to next? Di need to contact my creditors now and ask them to freeze my accounts? (Apart from the bank I have my overdraft with)

Comments

• zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Step change will deal with all of that for you
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Royhol wrote: »
    I'm after some advice as to what to to next? Do i need to contact my creditors now and ask them to freeze my accounts? (Apart from the bank I have my overdraft with)

Hi,

No, you don't need to do anything else, as said above, SC will deal with your creditors from now on, should you get any phone calls from creditors, you simply tell them you are on a DMP and refer them to step-change.

Same apply`s to any letters, write back and refer them to SC also.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • joee
    joee Posts: 173 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi Royhol,

Welcome to the forums!

I thought that you might want to join the DMP mutual support thread, I am a bit of a lurker but it is full of wonderfully supportive people who do understand (link here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4988866&page=223)

No pressure!

Xx
    :jProud to have dealt with my debt, DFD 6th May 2015 :j
    Part of the SPC challenge - #168 joee - My lovely gold stars from Sue-UU :staradmin x6 - BANKED £9.07
    2015: Sell £1000 #65 - target £500 - Sold £108.69
  • secretdebt
    secretdebt Posts: 72 Forumite
    My advice, even when setting up the DMP using Stepchange - is to ensure that you check with the company you have your debt with, that they have received the proposal from Stepchange. In my case they apparently hadn't received it, so I was still racking up interest and charges until I had called.

I was told by both Stepchange and my creditors that I still need to maintain a good relationship with my creditors. Which is fair enough, as Stepchange being a 3rd party - are probably dealing with tens of thousands of DMPS. I feel a regular courtesy call to your creditors would enable the DMP to stick, and would show that you are working with them to pay off what you owe.
  • Royhol
    Royhol Posts: 7 Forumite
    I've cancelled my direct debits with my unsecured creditors. Is this the right thing to have done?
  • Jon81
    Jon81 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've cancelled my direct debits with my unsecured creditors. Is this the right thing to have done?

Yes totally you don't need bounced charges at this stage. If they call you, as previously mentioned say that you are working with stepchange and quote them your reference number. They should as standard freeze charges, calls ect. for 30 days while things work through
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month

Yep absolutely correct, I'd recommend if you can face it to ring creditors when payment is due to say that you are facing financial difficulties and are with SC and quote your SC reference number.

The I'd send a token payment of £1 to each creditor, every 30 days until the SC DMP starts.

It's also worth considering delaying the start of the DMP to get a small emergency pile £££ set by for if you have a car, boiler, fridge disaster etc, unless you have supportive partner or family who can access credit to get such things fixed.

Strong recommend a good read through the latest DMP support thread as linked by joee above, most of your questions and worries will have been addressed at some time. You'll also realise you really are not alone.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Hello

Think most of this was already said...

My experience was amazing! I called all my creditors (So much fear) they were all so good and froze my accounts for 30 days. Gave them my Stepchange Ref and they all said well done for getting help and picking a free DMP provider!

Thank you stepchange :)
  • teeni
    teeni Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    I have just started a dmp with Payplan and found the same with the creditors, my first payment have gone out on friday , with the offers of payments so fingers crossed they will accept. good luck with this , my debt free day has been set as june 2022 so here goes xx
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hello

Think most of this was already said...

My experience was amazing! I called all my creditors (So much fear) they were all so good and froze my accounts for 30 days. Gave them my Stepchange Ref and they all said well done for getting help and picking a free DMP provider!

Thank you stepchange :)

Wow, how things have changed in the last 10 years.

I was extremely naive about debt and creditors at the time i was in trouble, i got no help whatsoever, i was told the bailiffs would be round, my car would be seized, i would end up in court, all the usual blah blah.

Luckily, thanks mainly to this site, i got more savvy, so i knew it was waffle.

Its good to see things have changed, for the better, the free debt charities are more established nowadays, and FCA regulation has helped no end, altogether a better way of doing things.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure