car puncture repair -best place best price

hello
anyone recommend good place to get car tyre puncture repaired
cheers
mark

Comments

• Local tyre store or you could do it yourself depending on the punture by using tyre sealant.
  • Puncture repairs are straight forward and garages will usually charge around the £5 mark. You could try National garages, you pay a tiny bit more than your local garage but they have always done a good job for me. Here's a free voucher for a puncture repair and i am sure you don't have to have the tyre balanced if you don't want.
    http://www.national.co.uk/images/puncturevoucher.jpg

• alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    I have sustained two punctures this month....more than I've suffered in the last 10 years!!!

First one, got mended [plus, I bought a new tyre for another wheel]...so all told, around £50.

Second one was a b##mer...small nail, but this time closer to the edge of the tread.....in fact, it was right on the percentage width limit for a repair.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/etyres-press-media/repairable-area-gauge.htm

is a downloadable area repair gauge...easy to use...

however, the tyre folk took a good look for me..as the tyre was relatively new...but as they explained, they wouldn't be able to guarantee a seal that close to the tyre wall....when you see the mushroom-shaped patch they'd use, you understand why.

so I ended up with another new tyre....I could have gone with a tube, but would have had to wait several days, without a spare, for delivery.......and seeing as these things come in threes, I wasn't prepared to 'chance' not having a sound spare.

So..another 40 quid out of pocket!

As a point to note...the folks I went to for the above, were not actually my first port of call...I initially went to a tyre place more local to me....

Got told no chance, without explanation...just quoted the BS number...... obviously just interested in floggin' me another new tyre.....they lost my custome, when the fitter opened his mouth to tell me, that he wouldn't fit a tube either...as it was 'illegal' to fit a tube to a tubeless tyre....

with that pronouncement, the stench of bull doo-doos became overpowering...so I gathered my punctured wheel up, said good-bye and left!

And took my business to my more usual dealer...who knows me, and my 'background', and is happy to share and explain things....

not that I was going to fit a tube anyway...for reasons above.....but I have other cars, with 'tubeless' tyres...all fitted with inner tubes.....for my own reasons...and they undergo far more regular official scrutiny than a normal daily driver....

and I don't hang around when bull doo-doos gets spouted...dont' wanna know.
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    alastairq wrote: »
    Got told no chance, without explanation...just quoted the BS number...... obviously just interested in floggin' me another new tyre.....they lost my custome, when the fitter opened his mouth to tell me, that he wouldn't fit a tube either...as it was 'illegal' to fit a tube to a tubeless tyre....

To be fair then, neither places repaired the tyre.

Not many places will fit tubes anymore, it may not be strictly illegal, but it's not good practice.

I had rims with tubes in, but prefer not to if I can.
  • alastairq
    To be fair then, neither places repaired the tyre.

that fact was accepted......

Tubes are fine.....they've been 'best practice' for countless decades...especially if tyres are subjected to less-than-perfect road surfaces..[which, following this winter, we are enduring?}....

If I have wire wheels on a car, I can fit covers which are labelled 'tubeless'....but obviously there will be a tube fitted.

Same as a solution to 'porous' alloys?

Trouble with 'professionals' spouting blatant untruths is...the majority of customers ...who may have but a passing knowledge of anything automotive, go away convinced and believing.

This is how urban myth is created....

If the guy had not spouted as he did, they would have got my custom instead........still, obviously so overloaded with work they can afford to turn it away?

I just knew there was a reason why I didn't usually use them as a first choice........
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • mikey72
    that fact was accepted......

Tubes are fine.....they've been 'best practice' for countless decades...especially if tyres are subjected to less-than-perfect road surfaces..[which, following this winter, we are enduring?}....

If I have wire wheels on a car, I can fit covers which are labelled 'tubeless'....but obviously there will be a tube fitted.

Same as a solution to 'porous' alloys?

Trouble with 'professionals' spouting blatant untruths is...the majority of customers ...who may have but a passing knowledge of anything automotive, go away convinced and believing.

This is how urban myth is created....

If the guy had not spouted as he did, they would have got my custom instead........still, obviously so overloaded with work they can afford to turn it away?

I just knew there was a reason why I didn't usually use them as a first choice........

Don't think you'll get a wire wheel to stay inflated without a tube.

Porous alloys are better treated and used without a tube. If you check the rim, alot of the time it's possible to polish the seat for the bead, most leak there.

Depends on the speed rating of the tyre as well.

Tubes in tubeless tyres effectively bring the tyre to a H rating.
    So if you were asking him to tube a V rated tyre or above, it technically wouldn't be legal.
  • alastairq
    Tubes in tubeless tyres effectively bring the tyre to a H rating.
    So if you were asking him to tube a V rated tyre or above, it technically wouldn't be legal.

doesn't work with..for example, an Aston Martin DB5..which obviously [as you know] needs tubes....even though the modern covers obtainable for that wheel size are all labelled 'tubeless'..

The main issue regarding tubes and the use of tubeless covers comes from the aspect ratio of the tyre...in the past, people have ignored the fact that a tube for an 80 aspect ratio will ripple when fitted to a 70 or lower aspect. For lower aspects, the correct tube needs to be fitted...

All of which is irrelevant for me, since all my tubed wheels are 80's....and given what sort of performance I expect of them, a tubeless tyre simply would not hack it.

incidental to all this...last year I had four new [Vredestein] covers fitted to a set of wheels, all with tubes.....[new, supplied at the same time, by the same tyre company]....not a squeak, or murmer of protest was offered..in fact, I was dealt with enthusiasm....
  • mikey72
    doesn't work with..for example, an Aston Martin DB5..which obviously [as you know] needs tubes....even though the modern covers obtainable for that wheel size are all labelled 'tubeless'..

The main issue regarding tubes and the use of tubeless covers comes from the aspect ratio of the tyre...in the past, people have ignored the fact that a tube for an 80 aspect ratio will ripple when fitted to a 70 or lower aspect. For lower aspects, the correct tube needs to be fitted...

All of which is irrelevant for me, since all my tubed wheels are 80's....and given what sort of performance I expect of them, a tubeless tyre simply would not hack it.

incidental to all this...last year I had four new [Vredestein] covers fitted to a set of wheels, all with tubes.....[new, supplied at the same time, by the same tyre company]....not a squeak, or murmer of protest was offered..in fact, I was dealt with enthusiasm....

DB5, designed for crossplys with tubes, and just over H rating, not quite V? I would expect an enthusiast to fit specific tyres to it still, and make allowance for tubes in a tubeles tyre.

The flex of radials, and the rough inner surface are the main problem, as well as the aspect ratio. A lot are unsuitable for tubes due to the friction and wear created by the tube rubbing on the inner wall or the tyre.

I have no doubt they would be enthusiastic to sell you a set of Vredesteins and tubes if you wanted them to though, and if you like tubes, fair enough.
    Your insurance will be invalid though, if you shred a tyre due to it blowing out.
  • iNath
    iNath Posts: 382 Forumite
    I had a tyre repaired this week. Rang 10 or so garages and it was £15-21 for a repair. I went for £15 at Formula One Autocentres. All done in about 30mins (needs time to set)
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Ask around for a trustworthy local place tbh, my local does puncture repairs for £5 (also re-attached my exhaust heat shield when it fell off for £5 too which wasn't bad considering they had to spend about 30 mins on the ramp etc :))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure