PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

leftover beef ???

cooked a beef joint today and got 5 or 6 thick slices left
not enough for cottage pie, so what can I do with it??

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Well the obvious answer is sandwiches, but I don't see why you can't make a cottage pie or bolognese sauce with the beef as a base, padded out with other things.

Have you got a mincer? You might be surprised at how much a few slices turns into. Or you can add cooked rice, or oatmeal, to spin it out. Depends how many the resulting meal has to feed, but most things can be stretched. Even a tin of baked beans will eke the meat out.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    How about a stir fry?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    You could freeze the slices in gravy to have later, perhaps as a meal for 2, or chopped up and added to fried rice.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cut meat into strips, place in tinfoil and heat in oven for about 10 mins. Serve in wraps/tortillas/pitta bread with salsa or spicy tomato sauce, salad, yoghourt and grated cheese.
    I use any left over meat/mince for this one. If mince, just make sure that gravy is well reduced, otherwise tortilla will be rather leaky!
    For vegetarians, left over quorn, tofu or veggie mince works great.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    tortilla idea sounds great
    I might cook extra meat just to try this ;D
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    How about making yorkshire pudding (7 inch) or more diameter , sicing meat adding gravy and putting inside.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    we used ours up today on a hot'n'spicy pizza.
    I just made the bread base,covered it with puree and chilli pepper (powder) then put the beef on cut into small pieces and mixed in a green pepper cut up too. Melted the cheese on top at last minute.
  • My god - left over beef - whats that! Every bit is snaffled in our house very quickly! When I have had a tiny joint of meat I use the Yorkshire pudding trick!
  • Thank you for tortilla idea. I did this for tea tonight & it went done very well!
    Now thanks to Tommix & Queen Bear, now Lady Westy of Woodpecker :)
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I use Delia's rissole recipe whenever we have left over meat. Chop up the meat an onion and a couple of slices of bread in a processor, add some salt pepper and nutmag. Bind together with an egg, mould into balls, then fry. Delicious! I did this with the leftover turkey, went down much better than curry! ;D
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure