NatWest - Bank Account Number not shown on Debit Card

Am I the only one who gets extremely annoyed over NatWest not placing your account number on your debit card?

So many times (including today in the gym) I've gone to set up a direct debit or needed the information and I've had to call the bank and ask what my details are.

Every other bank displays this information, why not NatWest?

Comments

• Lith
    Lith Posts: 897
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    TheEffect wrote: »
    Am I the only one who gets extremely annoyed over NatWest not placing your account number on your debit card?

So many times (including today in the gym) I've gone to set up a direct debit or needed the information and I've had to call the bank and ask what my details are.

Every other bank displays this information, why not NatWest?

Natwest have been doing this for a while now, same goes for some RBS debit cards.

don't know why they do this... if someone got ya sort code and account number all they can do is PUT money in your account

(which they are welcome to.. :rotfl:)

its the 3 digit number on the back that is the most worrying if anyone got that.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
  • Twister84
    Twister84 Posts: 525
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lith wrote: »
    don't know why they do this... if someone got ya sort code and account number all they can do is PUT money in your account

They can do a lot more than that with your details.

It's called fraud. :p

As for the OP, if you knew you were going to need your account number for a direct debit, how come you didn't take it with you? Or at least memorized it?

Even before I worked for the bank, I didn't find it an inconvenience to learn my account number off by heart - in fact, I found it a bit odd that other banks would actually put account numbers on the cards!

More inconvenience for a bit of security? Yes please!
    Anything that I do say, is strictly my opinion :p
  • jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I know all my account numbers off by heart. They are not that difficult to remember. I guess it would maybe be an annoyance if you have loads and loads of accounts, but cant really see it as a problem to be honest
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It can be irritating I agree, but it's hardly the end of the world.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think i refer to have my account number on my debit card.

The account number is printed on paying in books and cheques books so i dont see what the problem is really.

I remember when your account number used to be in your long card number many years ago.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,031
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    stclair wrote: »
    I remember when your account number used to be in your long card number many years ago.

Not that long ago, -HSBC and First Direct only stopped it when they changed from Maestro to Visa Debit last year/the year before. They still print the account details on the card. I think it's only the RBS group, inc NatWest, who don't do this.
  • ChiefGrasscutter
    ChiefGrasscutter Posts: 2,112
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Twister84 wrote: »
    They can do a lot more than that with your details.

It's called fraud. :p

As repeated many times on MSE by many people:
    every time you write a cheque to a tradesman (gardener,plumber, milkman.. whatever etc) you supply them with your name, signature, bank sort code and bank account number anyway.
  • Twister84
    Twister84 Posts: 525
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As repeated many times on MSE by many people:
    every time you write a cheque to a tradesman (gardener,plumber, milkman.. whatever etc) you supply them with your name, signature, bank sort code and bank account number anyway.

I am aware of that. I personally don't use them and think it's a waste of paper.

They will be phased out eventually though...*shrugs*
    Anything that I do say, is strictly my opinion :p
  • jrawle
    jrawle Posts: 601
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lith wrote: »
    Natwest have been doing this for a while now, same goes for some RBS debit cards.

Didn't you ever see this story about Jeremy Clarkson?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

I think it's a good idea not to have account details on the card, I hope my bank stops doing so too. Cheques are being phased out, and I never carry a chequebook. And I've never used a paying-in slip in my life! Why carry unnecessary information around that could be of use to criminals if they pick your pocket? (I'm always amazed how many people carry their driving licences - which include their address - what if it's stolen along with your keys?)

I know my account number and sort code, I've never looked at the numbers on my card, although I know it's there. (But then again, I know my credit card details by heart too - great when shopping online.)

Is it really so hard to remember a 6 and an 8-digit number?

However, if it's really an issue for you, why not write them on a piece of paper in your wallet. You can even disguise them as a phone number. You could also store them in your phone (most allow you to password-protect memos - assuming you can remember the passcode!)
  • fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I assumed it was something that was going to happen with all debit cards as fraud etc is now a much larger problem then years ago, when these cards came in.

I personally can remember my account number so not a problem, but I remember the first time I looked for it and it wasn't there, I had to think hard about what it was.

I'm all for extra security, providing it isn't taken to an extreme, which I don't think this is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure