Hi, Are 0300 numbers free from a BT landline?

frothy-coffee_2
frothy-coffee_2 Posts: 157 Forumite
edited 15 December 2017 at 3:01PM in Phones & TV
MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi there. You might like to read our 30+ Cheap Mobile Tips

Back to frothy-coffee's original post...

---

?????????????????????????

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,559
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ambassador
    Same rate as a regular landline starting 01 or 02.
    0300 Numbers

0300 telephone numbers, part of the 0300 range, have been allocated to public sector bodies and non-profit organisations such as charities.

The Ofcom website gives guidance on who is eligible to use 0300 numbers.

0300 numbers are non-geographic, giving your business a valuable UK-wide presence. They work in the same way as 08 numbers, but with one big, and customer-tempting, difference: the cost of calling them.

Customers only pay the same amount as a landline call to a 01 or a 02 number. And the price is the same for calls from mobiles. 0300 numbers are included in any discount schemes or inclusive call minutes that you may already have with landline or mobile phone operators.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Thxs.

You would think they were free as similar to 0800.

I wonder if many people are caught out?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    edited 15 February 2011 at 9:14PM
    0700 numbers most certainly aren't free either (can be up to 51.062p/minute depending on the 5th, 6th and 7th digits).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    I don't see why any number OTHER than 0800 could be assumed to be free - 0808 and 0500 are also free when dialled from a landline but if you were unaware of this then the free call would be a bonus. I think the expectation is if you make a call, it will be chargeable!
  • I don't agee. I think most people would assume an 0X00 format number is free.
  • Heinz
    Forumite
    The scammers dumping their 0700 CLIs on you will love you!

No, don't tell me, you think they're mobile numbers so you call them back from your mobile out of you 'free' minutes.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz wrote: »
    The scammers dumping their 0700 CLIs on you will love you!

No, don't tell me, you think they're mobile numbers so you call them back from your mobile out of you 'free' minutes.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean?

I started this thread because I wasn't sure if 0300 were free or not. I thought 0300, 0800, 0800 and any other number of that format were free.

Sorry for being ignorant
  • Heinz
    Forumite
    edited 19 February 2011 at 4:13PM
    Apart from the most commonly used freephone numbers (0500, 0800 and 0808), 00800 (international freephone) and a variety of others are also free* to call:

999, 111, 112, 116xxx, 07600xxxxxx, 076232xxxxx, 076593xxxxx, 076596xxxxx, 076599xxxxx, 118399 and 118712 (some of these are inactive or have no active numbers but they are designated as 'No fee' numbers or number groups).

* From landlines and some mobile networks (999 and 112 are, of course, free from all landlines and mobile networks).
  • Thanks.....
  • sicker
    sicker Posts: 1,370
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The reason for 03 numbers is that they have run out of 01 and 02 numbers, so they are charged at the going rate. I get all geograhical , 0845 & 0870 numbers free (up to 59 minutes, hang up and dial again) by paying BT a amall monthly premium. Well worth it as far a I'm concerned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure