PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• gtx
    gtx Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    spent £23.28 in mr a's yesterday on f&v, flowers and party invitations (dd and ds are having joint birthday party on the 14th).

doing well with nsd's - packed lunches are a life saver here and twinks hobnobs mean i'm not buying chocolate.;)

off to update sig, hope everyone is well

gtx

DFW#1062 :idea: LBM Aug 08 - :eek: DFD JUN '22
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did the big shop of the month today and it came in at £72.76.

Very pleased as I've made a conscious decision to buy free range or organic meat this month (a bit of a mini challenge in with the big one) and I just have a few bits of fresh fruit and veg, and cat food to buy for the rest of this month.
    "carpe that diem"
  • TrixieB
    TrixieB Posts: 704 Forumite
    Options
    Can I ask what you are all going to do with the money you will hopefully have left over from the GC - treat yourself? Pay off debts? Put it towards a holiday? Xmas 2009?

I'm going to put anything I have left over into my savings account for holiday spending money in August.
    Trying very hard to be frugal and OS - just plodding on and doing my best!
    :money: :money:
    :money:
  • davesdaughter
    Options
    Hi

Can you put me down for £260 please.

thank you
  • queen_of_string
    Options
    Hi Trixie
    I use any surplus to stockpile food and toiletries, am aiming to get 12 months ahead on things like loo rolls, cleaning stuff, tins and dry goods. Using it as a kind of insurance in case my situation changes.
    Eat food, not edible food-like items. Mostly plants.
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Options
    TrixieB wrote: »
    Can I ask what you are all going to do with the money you will hopefully have left over from the GC - treat yourself? Pay off debts? Put it towards a holiday? Xmas 2009?

I'm going to put anything I have left over into my savings account for holiday spending money in August.

Anything left over goes in the mortgage overpayment piggy....
    "carpe that diem"
  • S_Wales_Saver
    Options
    Evening all

hope you're all keeping "cwtched" in this cold weather. Well I made it to work and back, but lots more snow forecast so we'll see about tomorrow. Might have to walk :eek: . I'm trying to buy more at Aldi and Lidl, so a small weekend shop at Aldi for the family coming for my b'day Sun. Chicken drumsticks £1.69 for eight (there were 10 in one pack, 11 in the other:j ) tomatoes 49p and coleslaw 69p. I'm very fussy about coleslaw, but this was delish.
    Needed to go to MrS for milk tho cos Aldi always runs out of skimmed. £19.03 spent and should be me done til Fri.
    Dor
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Options
    Hi mrs mc can i be put down for £300 this month please.We are knocking £50 off the budget this month as we did so well last month.
    Only problem we may have is we have workmen in our home and don t know what cooking will be like this month.Fingers crossed we won t need more than one takeaway.
    Im off to read the thread as only just found it.
    Good luck every-one
    PP
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • Moniker
    Moniker Posts: 626 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    TrixieB wrote: »

I'm going to put anything I have left over into my savings account for holiday spending money in August.[/QUOTE

At the end of each month I transfer any underspend into my cash ISA - that way I am not tempted to splurge and I can see it making a real difference to my savings. It gives me encouragement to keep going with the challenge when things are hard.

Got to work OK today, but was allowed to leave early as I have the furthest to go and I didn't fancy driving in the dark. We had leftover lamb from yesterday's roast sliced and served in gravy (also leftover) and reheated in the oven - I made a huge batch of mashed potatoes with lots of butter and used the extra to top two shepherd's pies made from the rest of the lamb minced up with onion and carrot - one for tomorrow night's dinner and one for the freezer.As the lamb was very expensive (£14!) I was determined to get as much out of it as possible. MIL and DD1 came to lunch yesterday so we will have had 10 meals by the time we eat the 2nd shepherd's pie - not too bad I think.

Keep warm everyone - off to exercise my grey matter with University Challenge!

Moniker
  • TurnaroundSue
    Options
    Evening all

hope you're all keeping "cwtched" in this cold weather. Well I made it to work and back, but lots more snow forecast so we'll see about tomorrow. Might have to walk :eek: . I'm trying to buy more at Aldi and Lidl, so a small weekend shop at Aldi for the family coming for my b'day Sun. Chicken drumsticks £1.69 for eight (there were 10 in one pack, 11 in the other:j ) tomatoes 49p and coleslaw 69p. I'm very fussy about coleslaw, but this was delish.
    Needed to go to MrS for milk tho cos Aldi always runs out of skimmed. £19.03 spent and should be me done til Fri.

Their potato salad is the bees knees too. Absolutely stunning - just wish they did them in smaller pots as I find that the big one too big and it really doesn't help with the waistline.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure